Chapter 4: Playing with Fire

Xiomara

Xiomara

I left out of one of my law classes with a few missed calls, one from Xavier, one from Jace. and one from Arienne. Without even checking my voicemail, I immediately called Arienne back. I knew I was skating on thin ice with her from Jace's actions the other night. After the second ring, she picked up, "This is Arienne."

"Hi Arienne, it's Xiomara. You called me?"

"Ah yes, my little troublemaker."

"I tried to diffuse the situation as much I could, I can assure you."

"Well your assurances mean shit to me so far. Anyways, because I like you, I have another high roller for you. Xiomara, understand I'm giving you another chance because I like you. You remind me of myself when I was your age; definitely a go getter. However don't misunderstand me: NOTHING means more to me than my business, NOTHING."

I roll my eyes at her reiterating "nothing". She made the threat perfectly clear the first time, and as she's said before, I'm no dummy.

"Well I appreciate you taking another chance on me Arienne." I say rather dryly.

"I'm investing in you, and I don't like when I'm being taken advantage of. I want a return on my investment."

"Okay, so this new client? Does he have a name?"

"He does however he's been with me since I started this company, so I won't reveal who he is."

With a disbelief in my tone, "Are you serious? So how do I know he's trustworthy?"

"You'll just have to trust me."

"Well excuse me if I'm not doing that so freely."

"Watch it Xiomara. Just because I like you doesn't mean you get to talk to me any kind of way."

"Is there anything you CAN tell me?"

"Yes, the date is in three days at the Waldorf, the Palatial Suite."

"And what time?"

"You need to be there at 8pm. Oh and Xiomara?"

"Yes?"

"He's a no holds barred type of man. You WILL accommodate him HOWEVER he asks or demands. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal."

With that I hang up. I knew that I couldn't disappoint Arienne another time. I could see why the girls either left that life well before their time or were too scared. While I respected the businesswoman in Arienne, I didn't appreciate the way she instilled fear in her escorts. Thankfully, I wasn't one to scare easily; growing up with someone like Xavier, not only as a brother but seeing him conduct himself as a businessman, made sure of that.