Chapter 6| Jumpsuit

"If you need anyone
I'll be right there
But you'll have to grab my throat and lift me in the air
If you need anyone"

E V I E

Waking up the next morning, I felt a sudden feeling of happiness surge through me as if I were a kid on Christmas who had just opened their parents' present, only to find out it was the Xbox they'd been asking to get for months. I get out of bed and get ready for school with a smile on my face. As I'm getting dressed I realize whenever I'm this happy for no reason, I end up embarrassing myself. Shaking my head, I get rid of those thoughts hoping they're not true and put on my shoes- which consist of black vans.

 Shaking my head, I get rid of those thoughts hoping they're not true and put on my shoes- which consist of black vans

I head downstairs for breakfast and greet my brother as he makes bacon and eggs.

"Do you need help?" I ask.

"No," He replies. "But could you get three eggs out of the fridge?"

I nod and do as he asks.

"Thanks." He mutters.

"You're welcome." I smile.

After breakfast, he drops me off at school. I go directly to my locker hoping none of my friends saw me and avoid them questioning the bruise on my cheek- which had gotten worse from yesterday- and the bandage on my hand.

Someone comes up behind me, "Hey!"

I jump, "Oh Lord Jesus! You scared me and my poor heart."

"Sorry." Matt stands beside me and smiles.

I smile back, "It's okay."

His eyes get darker in what I assume is rage, "What's that on your cheek?"

Instinctively, I raise my hand to cover my cheek, "Nothing."

Matt grabs my hand, "I'm not dumb, I know that's a bruise. Who gave it to you?"

"No one. I fell down the stairs."

He rolls his eyes at my pathetic lie, "That's not a bruise you get when you fall down the stairs. This looks like someone hit you, so who is it? I won't ask again."

"What's up?" Conner comes up next to us. He frowns, "Hey, let go of her hand, you're hurting her."

His eyes land on the bruise on my cheek then on the white bandage covering my hand, "Who the fuck hurt you?"

"No o-" saved by the bell. Literally. I quickly grab the rest of my books and head to class.

* * *

Turns out Matt sits next to me in Algebra 2 on Thursdays. He tried to get the answer of who hurt me but I didn't budge. Though it pained me to ignore him, I had to so that Conner and Blaire don't break up because of me. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were the cause of their breakup.