Chapter 7| OK (Anxiety Anthem)

"It's okay not to be okay
It's okay if you feel the pain
Don't gotta wipe your tears away"

C O N N E R

When I parked my car in the school parking lot, I found it unusual to find that everyone was inside. Even the stoners. I realise why a while after walking into school. All the students are gathered in groups looking at something. I soon notice the posters hung on the walls. Soon after I find her friends and Matt. They too are looking at the pictures on the wall.

"Hey," I say, gaining their attention. "The hell is this?"

I read what it says on the poster and it makes my heart crack clean through the middle.

"Where's Evie?" Dunya asks.

We all shake our heads in response. I have a feeling I know who it is and with the look on Matt's face, he does too. The girls go to rip the posters off the walls and Matt helps Brooklynn yell at the students for making fun of Evie.

As Dunya passes by me I grab one of the posters in her hand and read it again.

Evie-Rose Carter, why would we want her if her parents didn't?

* * *

Evie arrived at school at the same time as the bell for lunch rang. By that time, Blaire had put the posters up again. She didn't understand why everyone was staring at her until she looked around and saw the posters with her name in bold, capital letters. She gasped and I could see the tears welling up in her eyes.

"Evie." I stand in front of her.

She shakes her head and smiles, "Don't worry, I'm fine. They'd find out about me eventually, right? I saw this coming. I'm fine. Really, I am."

I give her a weird look. She gives me another smile that shows her teeth but I can see right through it. Before I can say anything else, she turns around and heads into the girls' bathroom. I know I shouldn't have done so, but I followed her into the bathroom and locked the door behind me after making sure no one else was inside.

"Evie baby," I didn't have time to think before the words slipped out of my mouth. "You don't have to act like everything's fine."

She quickly wiped her eyes and smiled at me, "I'm not acting."

For some reason, her smiling at me to make me think she's strong and everything's fine breaks the heart that I didn't think I had.

"You don't have to pretend that everything's okay. It's fine to break sometimes."

The smile on her face drops and her eyes fill with tears, "Everyone's going to think that I don't have a family because I'm not good enough."

I shake my head, "Blood doesn't make a family, love does. I don't know about your parents, but I know your brother loves you. If he came to school just to punch me because he thought I made you cry then he loves you and nothing will ever change that."

No, I love you. You are good enough. I want you to be mine.

I love you, Evie.

Is what I really wanted to say but the words stayed inside as I hugged her.

I kiss her forehead, hoping she'd understand what I'm trying to convey. But of course, that didn't happen.

_*_*_*_

(Here's chapter 7! I took it down because I wanted to add something. I know, it's short (584 words). The next few chapters will probably focus on Conner and Evie's relationship development and will only have fluff (no drama). Hope you like it!)

BYEEEE

(P.S. charcaolchild don't kill me tomorrow)
(P.S.S. This will probably be he last chapter of Princess until I finish One Day)