one

i

i. wow, i'm fine

❤︎

OLIVIA CLARKE sat in her bedroom, staring down a black witch's hat that hung on her closet door. She let out a groan as she frustratedly flopped onto her bed; she couldn't pull herself to put together the rest of her Halloween costume. She grabbed her pillow and smashed it to her face, a scream escaping her lips.

   Vincent would be by in the next half hour to pick her up, and she wasn't ready at all. Truth be told, Olivia didn't want to go to Tina Goldfelder's party; she didn't want to go anywhere. She'd rather be draped across her lazy boy while she, her father, and her friends scarfed down Reece's Cups and yelled at the TV screen. Alas, that wasn't an option anymore.

"Hey, sweetie." the soft voice of Scott Clarke spoke, his head peaking through her door.

"Hey, dad." she sighed, sitting up. She slid back on her bed to make room for him as he entered the room, a small smile on his face.

"I heard you yelling and I wanted to make sure everything was okay," he explained as he sat down on her bed.

"Really? Through the pillow?" she giggled, clutching her knees to her chest.

"It was loud." he teased, "Are you ok, honey?"

"I don't know." she sighed, her grin disappearing.

"Are you sure you don't know?" he asked, staring at his daughter.

"No." she murmured. She fell onto her side, curling into the fetal position.

"What's wrong?" he questioned as he placed a comforting hand on her ankle.

"I don't want to go to Tina Goldfelder's party," she grumbled.

"You can always stay here," he suggested. Olivia sat up immediately, her eyes widening slightly.

"That's a great idea!" she exclaimed. Scott smiled at her, his bushy mustache curling at the ends.

"But you're going to be watching horror movies all by yourself." he laughed. Her eyebrows quirked in sudden confusion at her dad's comment.

"I have a date with Jen," he spoke, making Olivia frown.

"Oh," she whispered, looking down at her quilt. She grabbed a loose thread of the fabric and began to twiddle it between her fingers.

"When you told me you were going to the party, I figured I could set something up with Jen. That's alright with you, right, sweetheart?" he asked.

"Yeah, yeah. For sure, that's completely fine," she replied quickly, not looking at her dad.

Jen was the woman her dad had been dating for a little over a year. She was utterly sweet and Olivia did like her, but she couldn't help but feel a twinge of jealousy every time she and her father went on a date. For sixteen years, she had her dad all to herself. They would go into town and get milkshakes or spend nights in front of the TV watching Three's Company reruns. As soon as Jen entered their lives, though, those things began to fade.