six

vi

vi. you're not doing it right

❤︎

"YOU'RE POSITIVE that was Dart?" Lucas asked. The five walked along the now meatless railroad tracks, only four dull flashlights to cut through the thick darkness. The handlebar and nail bat both lay in their respective spots in the book bag on Steve's back.

   "Yes, he the same exact yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin replied with a scoff.

   "But he was tiny two days ago," Max commented skeptically.

   "Well, he's molted three times already." he countered. Olivia shuddered, thinking of the slimy dead skin that once stuck to Steve's nail bat.

   "Malted?" Steve questioned.

   "Did you just say malted?" Olivia asked. If she wasn't still shaking from almost being killed, she would have laughed.

   "Yeah, malted," Steve repeated as if it were common knowledge.

   "No, molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth. Like hornworms." Dustin explained.

   "When's he gonna' molt again?" Max questioned.

   "It's gotta be soon," he replied.

   "Very soon. This thing seems to be growing a foot every day." Olivia commented.

   "And when he does, he'll be fully grown or close to it. So will his friends." Dustin continued.

   "Yeah, and he's gonna' eat a lot more than just cats." Steve laughed dryly.

   "Wait, cat?" Lucas asked, grabbing Dustin by the shoulders, "Dart ate a cat?"

   "No-no. No, he didn't." Dustin scoffed.

   "What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve spoke with furrowed eyebrows.

   "Mews? Who's Mews?" Max questioned.

   "It's Dustin's cat," Steve responded.

   "Steve!" Dustin exclaimed. Lucas and Dustin then began to bicker, sending the three others into a wave of confusion.

   "What did I do?" Steve whispered, looking to Olivia.

   "I think you started a fight," she replied.

   "Guys, who cares? Let's go!" Max interjected as the argument continued. Soon enough, she joined in, creating a scream fight between three thirteen-year-olds.

   As their voices boomed from the train tracks, Olivia's ears began to pick up on another noise. It was so familiar, but she couldn't quite place her finger on what it was.

   "Kids, Steve?" she muttered, wandering towards the noise, "Do you hear that?"

   Steve, noticing the girl, began to walk closer to her. He, too, began to hear the noise. Only he knew exactly what it was.