four

iv

iv. which one of us has a uterus

❤︎

HAMMER TO Fall by Queen blasted on the radio of Steve Harrington's red BMW as is roared down the road, red and brown leaves flying from the street.

   "Wait a sec, how big?" Steve asked, moving his eyes toward Dustin, who sat in the passenger's seat.

   "First it was like that-" Dustin spoke, gesturing to the space between his thumb and his index finger,
"-now it's this big." he spread apart his arms until there were roughly two feet between both of his hands.

   "I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?" he sighed, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.

"This was no little lizard." Olivia scoffed, holding onto the handlebar of the old bike. When she first got into the car, she had to bite her tongue to stop herself from screaming. She was sitting in Steve Harrington's car. It was something of dreams. Or late-night Coca-Colas.

   "You saw this thing?" he questioned.

   "Yeah, and let me tell you, this thing wasn't just a gecko," she spoke, leaning back in her seat. As the car ride had gone on, she slowly found that it wasn't as exciting as she'd originally thought. Of course, she was still giddy with excitement that she was anywhere near Steve.

   "How do you know?" he continued.

   "How do we know it's not a lizard?" Dustin clarified.

   "Yeah, how do you know it's not just a lizard?" he asked, raising his voice.

   "Because its face opened up and it ate my cat!" he shouted, making the car go almost completely silent.

   "We're just waiting for the hammer to fall." Freddie Mercury sang as they pulled into Dustin's driveway. They all quickly exited the car. Dustin and Steve walked to the trunk of the car, but Olivia hesitated for a moment, confused and not sure where to go.

   Steve popped the trunk and tossed his keys to Dustin who warily caught them. Olivia's eyes widened as he pulled out a brown baseball bag filled with nails.

   "Do-do you just carry that around?" she exclaimed in surprise.

   "Yeah," he replied simply, shrugging. He grabbed a flashlight from the trunk slammed the door closed. They walked towards the storm cellar, the dull glow of the flashlight illuminating their path.

   "I don't hear shit," Steve mumbled, examining the red cellar doors.

   "He's in there," Dustin whispered. Olivia stood behind Dustin, terrified. Steve reached out his bat and lightly bumped the door, but nothing happened. Licking his lips, he slammed the bat against the storm cellar doors, making Olivia grab Dustin and use him as a shield.