Chapter 1

Chapter One: The Big News

"Allison! Get down here, please, your father and I would like a word with you!" I sigh and throw my magazine on the ground. What do they want now?

I stomp down the stairs and throw the dining hall doors open. "Yeah?"

They're sitting at the end of the long dining table that seats nearly thirty people. Their arms are folded and my mother has a worried expression under her many Botox treatments. This can't be good.

"Please sit down, honey," my father says. He motions to the chair beside his but I choose the one facing him instead. He clears his throat and glances at my mom. She nods quickly.

"Your mother and I have some... unexpected news for you, dear."

"Please keep in mind that we have your best interests at heart," my mother adds softly. She reaches for my arm and grips it tightly. I can't tell if it's out of love, anger, or guilt. Probably all three.

"As you know, I'll be retiring soon." My father looks down and my mother pats his back. He owns a large law firm that is well known across the mid-Atlantic states worth several million dollars. "And you have very little time to inherit the company."

I sigh in agitation. "I've already told you, Dad, I'm not going to run a law firm! I want to be a veterinarian! I'm not taking over your stupid business just so you stay home and relax all day." I slump down in my chair and cross my arms.

"You watch your tongue, young lady!" my father cries.

"Settle down, dear." My mother coughs softly. "Dear, we are well aware of that. And despite our persistence for you to change your mind, you've stuck to your dream."

"So who's going to take over the family business?" I ask. I'm confused: I'm the only heir. My mother and father were already running the business and preparing for retirement, and my grandparents are way too old.

My parents share a worried look. "That's what we wanted to tell you. We've decided that, because you've left us no other choice, you're getting engaged.

My jaw drops. "Engaged? But I don't even have a boyfriend!"

"Exactly!" my mother cries. "You haven't had a boyfriend all summer and the ones you have had didn't last very long.

"That's because the guys at my school are jerks!" I push my chair back and stand up.

"Well, not all of them are, dear. Your betrothed is none other than Connor Danielson."

"Connor Danielson?!" I cry. Not him! He's the quarterback of the football team, a classroom nerd, and one of the most annoying flirts you've ever met. He goes through nearly ten girlfriends a semester.

"Yes. His parents have agreed to merge our two law firms and let Connor control them both with you at his side." My father smiles proudly as if he's the most brilliant person on earth.

"There is no way this is happening!"

My mother glares at me. "Yes, there is. You have left us no choice, and unless you wish to take over the business-"

"No!"

"-or you have a suitable boyfriend and possible fiancee ready for us to approve, you are getting married to Connor Danielson."

I'm getting dizzy. The room has started spinning and my parents have three heads. I grip the edge of the table and try to wake myself from this terrible nightmare. "Well... what if I fall in love?"

My parents laugh. They actually laugh at the prospect of me falling in love! "Well, honey, that has never happened to you and we really doubt it's going to any time soon, but if it does, then you don't have to get engaged."

"So... it's a deal?" I ask meekly. I'll take any deal over this one. If you can even call it a deal; more like an death sentence.

"What's a deal?" My father asks tightly.

"If I fall in love before... before Christmas Eve, then I don't have to get married to Connor." I smile inwardly at my brilliance.

My mother gives me a wary look."Fine. You can present your new love to us at the annual Christmas Party on December 24 by midnight. If you have no man to present, you and Connor will formally announce your engagement."

"Great! Then it's a deal." I shake both of their hands quickly and run up to my room.

"Well, that was a narrowly avoided disaster," I tell my cat, Prince Willie.

Now all that's left to do is fall in love with the perfect guy... in four months.