Chapter 20

Chapter 20: Big News?

"Ohmigod, can you believe it?"

"This is crazy!"

R U SERIOUS?!

These texts, cries, and calls have bombarded my phone for the last three hours. Did I mention that it's 2 a.m.? Apparently, the school board decided to move the senior prom to two weeks from now. Exactly one month from December 24. 

Yes it is November 10 today. Time flies by, doesn't it?

Kim, Nikki, and Sarah are the first to call. Sarah is the most excited, though. Five messages in the last hour. Nikki's parents already rented a limo- they're that committed. I know Mark won't call because he never goes to prom. He and his boyfriend prefer to stay home and laugh at the "frivolous money-wasting teens" of our generation. But they're just jealous. Wink wink.

My phone vibrates again and I sigh. When I look at the screen, I see Connor's call picture: I'm shoving ice cream in his face and we're cracking up outside the local ice cream shop. I smile and hit the answer button. "Hey."

"Hey! Have you heard about-"

"Prom? Oh, yeah, believe me: I heard." I laugh. He laughs. I like the sound of his laugh.

"So... do you wanna go?"

I pause before regaining my cool. "Well, isn't that a smooth line."

He laughs. "I'm serious! You're my girlfriend, right?'

I nod, then remember that he can't see me. "Right."

"Well, then, I think we should go to prom together. Our parents would love it."

"All the more reason not to do it." I stand and walk to my bathroom. I stop and pet Prince Willie on top of his 'throne.' "Why do you want to go?"

Now he pauses. "Because I've never really gone. I mean, I have, but my friends and I ditched about an hour in, and the girls that I took... they all just wanted to talk to their friends. I never really had fun, you know? I'd like to go with you because... it would be cool to go with someone I actually like."

I smile to myself and walk to the bathroom. I look in the mirror and sigh. I really, really don't want to go to prom. Especially not with the guy I'm supposed to hate. But something inside me tells me that I would have fun. And I think: Why the hell not?

"You know what? I'd love to go to prom with you."

"Great!" I can hear the smile in your voice. "Well, sorry to wake you up. I'll let you go... talk to you tomorrow!" Just before he hangs up the phone, I hear him call: "Hey, Mom! Guess wha-" 

I smile and hit END CALL. I lean against the counter and stare into the mirror. I'm about to have one of those self-revealing thoughts when I make a snap decision. I run back to my room, scaring Prince Willie, and run to my bed. I speed dial Kim, Nikki, and Sarah. We do a four-way call. They sound tired, but excited, and confused. 

"What's up, girl?!" Sarah cries. I can picture her jumping up and down on her bed right now. 

"Yeah, what do you want? It's two in the morning!" Nikki jokes.

"Sup," Kim chimes in, a little late.

"Guys..." I pause for dramatic effect. "Tomorrow, nine a.m.... We're going shopping for prom dresses!"

* * *

"Ohmigosh, that is so cute!"

I look in the mirror of the small dressing room mirror. It's a pretty roomy place: there's a smaller room in the corner where you change. To the side we have about twenty dresses that we're trying on one by one. I'm wearing a lavender, strapless gown that hugs my curves and cascades down in silk.

"You think? It's not too much?"

"No!" Kim yells. "It's perfect!"

I twirl in the mirror. She's right, it is beautiful. And I'm sure that Connor would love it. Of course, that's what I have thought about all the dresses. "You don't think the green one was better? Or the white one?"

Nikki rolls her eyes. "Oh my god. Can we please move on? You look fantastic, better than I looked in any of my dresses, and you have the perfect boyfriend in the world. And you're still complaining?"

I laugh. "So, this one?" 

"Yes!" They shout at once. "Okay! Let me go change!" I run back to the small room and pull the door closed. I gently pull the dress over my head and place it lovingly on the rack. It is perfect! I can't wait to show Connor. I pull my phone out and text him: FINALLY PICKED A DRESS-- LAVENDER! 

He texts back: CANT WAIT 2 C IT!

I smile and put my phone away. I change back into my jeans and long sleeve tee. When I open the door, they're all standing there, dresses in hand. "I'm buying!" I shout. We all run out of the room and I hand the cashier my credit card. She smiles and promises to ship the dresses first class tomorrow. I thank her and we leave the store. We've already eaten and bought our accessories. 

We head to the car and begin the drive home. I sit on the passenger side, next to Sarah, who's gushing about Allen McHenderson, the popular jock who just asked her out last night. I nod and mumble short phrases of interest half-heartedly. The prom is just three days away now. And I'm feeling nervous. Why? Well, why don't you tell me.