Chapter 7

Chapter 7: First Date

We get to the restaurant in about ten minutes. A hostess recognizes Connor at the door and silently leads us to our table. It's in a secluded corner with candles and a harp player.

"Wow," I say. "You're a pro at this."

He smiles . "A pro at what? Picking restaurants?'

"No. At impressing innocent girls." I slide into the booth and pick up a menu.

"Why do you think I'm trying to impress you? Or that I've done this before? How do you know I'm not doing something special for my fiancee?"

I'm silent. It's true, I don't know that. But there's no way I'm letting my guard down. "You're loaded, Connor. I'm guessingthat you use some of this extra money to get lucky with girls, which requires this." I gesture to the harp player and hanging candles.

"Look, let's just have a nice dinner, okay?"

"Fine."

Looking over the menu, I am shocked at the dishes. They're simple, yet elegant. And they all sound delicious. Jumbo shrimp, tilapia, the list goes on and on. I lick my lips. I can already taste the sauce. Out waiter shows up and I decide to order the Caesar salad with calamari on the side and Sprite. Connor orders the Jumbo Shrimp and Coke.

When the waiter, Kurt, leaves, Connor takes a sip of water. "So," he says. "How is your dating race going?"

"Great. One down, and I have another one two days from now."

"Oh, really? Because Thomas seemed to think that you're a crazy witch. I'm paraphrasing, of course."

I feel my cheeks get red. "Well, he didn't like the whole lawyer idea."

"Here's a hint? Don't mention the whole marriage and law firm thing until maybe the third date. Then they might be a little more reasonable."

"I don't have time for that! I have four months. And with me going out with you once a week I have even less time." He flinches.

"Sorry I'm such an inconvenience."

I look down. "Look... why did you even agree to this? We barely know each other. And you want to marry me? It's crazy."

He stares at a candle above the table. "I... I thought it was a good idea. I've dated plenty of girls but never really been happy. I'm smart and want to be a great lawyer, but your dad's company is much bigger than ours. If we combined it, I could do really great things, and not have to send all those innocent 'little people' to jail. I could do good."

"Right. But marrying me? Having kids one day, owning a home together, growing old? All of it, together, no divorcing. That's crazy!"

"Yeah, but... you've always been so nice. So smart and happy but I never thought of you as a girlfriend type. But a wife? Definitely."

Our food comes and I dive in. It's delicious. We don't talk for a few minutes, engrossed in our food. Once my salad is nearly gone and my stomach is full, I clear my throat.

"Here's the problem," I begin. This will not go well. "I don't want to marry you."

He stops chewing and slowly puts down his fork. "But... you barely know me."

"Exactly! I shout. The harp player falters and stares. "We don't know each other, I don't want to marry someone that I barely know! Just to save some stupid company that I want absolutely no part of! There is no way I'm getting married to someone I barely know and don't even like! Marriage is supposed to be about love! This isn't love. This is..."

"I'm sorry," he says. "I'm sorry that you feel that way. But I'm willing to make this work. If you're not, then I guess I just won't marry you and make you become the lawyer. I'm not an idiot. I know that you want to be a vet and hate lawyers. So if you don't want me to marry you, let me know."

We pay the check and drive home silently. He drops me off at my house. "I'll call you later." He drives off before I can respond.

Well... that went well.