Chapter 25

Chapter 25:  My Future

I look in the mirror and see a beautiful young woman staring back at me. I blink a couple times and I see that she is me in my beautiful gold party dress. It sparkles in the bright bathroom light as I apply a light lipstick. I purse my lips as I look at my reflection. I smile half-heartedly as I try to control my nerves. My mother clearly stated before the party that I had to make a decision about the wedding. And even though I saw the guilt in my dad's eyes I gravely accepted. She gave me a confused look and went to start making her famous brownies. And I've spent the entire day rehearsing in my room.

"You know we're superstars, we are who we are!" my phone blares. I reach over and answer "Yello?"

"Hey sexy, what's up?" It's Connor.

"Just getting ready for tonight. What about you?"

"Avoiding my mother. She's trying to put gel in my hair."

"Ew!" I say and roll onto my back.

"Tell me about it." He pauses. "So, are you really going to tell them?"

"Yes we are. Are you ready for this?"

"No way. You?"

"Nope."

"Well, this should be fun. Can I come over?"

I laugh. "My mother is in party mode. That would be a very bad idea."

"Darn!" I can hear the smile in his voice. "So I'll see you in a few hours?"

"Too late to back out now!"

"Or is it?"

I giggle and close the phone. I'm brought back to earth and turn on my ipod dock. "What the Hell" comes on and I dance around my room. I'm screaming to the music and glance in the mirror. My hair is messed up- I'll have to redo it. But at least the nerves are gone.... nope. There they are again.

* * * *

"Welcome! Glad you could make it!" I take the stranger's coat and throw it in the closet with the others. Connor hasn't arrived yet; apparently his brother is flying in and his plane was delayed from the snow.

The doorbell rings again and I run to answer it. "Merry Christmas! It's great to see you again. Here, let me take your coat."

"Well, thank you miss servant," a familiar voice retorts. She removes her scarf and I see that it's Kim. 

"Kimmy! Oh my gosh, you came!"

"Uhm, duh? How could i miss this?"

I hug her tightly and whisper "Midnight. Be ready!"

She laughs and replies: "Not even if the house burns down."

"Well isn't that optimistic!"

"It's snowing, hon. The house won't burn down."

I smile and lead her family inside. They meet up with Mark and his parents. Mark takes the opportunity to run away to my room. He flops down on my bed in mock exhaustion. "Geez, I've never made so much small talk in my life!"

"You say that every year," KIm replies. 

"I swear, if I remark about the weather one more time I'll die"

"Well wouldn't that be a shame," Nikki retorts from a chair. Mark rolls his eyes. 

"Oh, hey! I didn't even know you were here! Who let you in?"

"You did, remember? Told me to come to your room?"

"Right, right." I don't remember, but that's okay. Who cares anyway.

"Is Sarah coming?"

"I think Connor is picking her up: her parents are in Tibet visiting a cousin."

It's silent. Everyone's looking at me expectantly. "What?"

"Well? Are you going to tell them?"

"I guess so."

Nikki squeals and runs to give me a hug. Mark smiles but doesn't bother to get up from the bed. Kim walks over to my trash can and pulls out some sample papers. "What the hell were you thinking?" she quips about one of my drafts.

"Who knows."

* * *

Connor finally arrives, looking exhausted but glad to see me. The snow hasn't stopped and some people are talking about going home. The entrees have been eaten and the brownies are gone. The wine is still being poured, though, and you can definitely tell who has had too much. At five minutes to midnight, I stand beside our faux Christmas tree and tap my glass of sparkling water with a knife.

"It's time for the Christmas toast!" I call. The chattering stops and I clear my throat. Connor shoots me a grin from behind the bar where he's been helping out. "As you all know," I begin, "I am dating Connor Danielson, the high school jock and popular flirt that practically every girl in the school has dated." There's some chuckling and Kim raises her glass in the air. "However, there is something you do not know. Tonight, we have decided to tell you all that we are engaged."

Now the whispering really begins. There's an shocked look on everyone's faces, mouthes hanging open, heads shaking. Connor clears his throat and the room hushes. "It's not what you are all thinking, believe me. She's not pregnant, we're not running away, nothing like that. After we graduate, we'll get married in the summer, I'll take over the law firms and Allison will go to college to be a vet."

"But why now?" Someone calls out.

I glance at my mother and father, clutching each other. "Because love shouldn't wait."

The clock strikes midnight. Connor takes me in his arms and kisses me while the crowd laughs uneasily and claps. I smile after breaking away and blow a kiss to Kimmy, Mark, Nikki, and Sarah. "God I love them." I turn to Connor and look into his eyes. 

"And I love you too."