Chapter 13

Chapter 13: The Villain is Revealed 

My first thought when I wake up is: I'm dead.

Silly, I know, but you'd think that too if you opened your eyes to an insanely bright room with beeping noises while being swiftly moved down a long hallway. I try to sit up but someone is holding me down. 
"Woah, she's awake!" a strange voice calls.

"Wha-" I begin.

"Shh!" Connor's soothing voice makes me lie back down. I can feel his warm hand in mine. "We're almost there, don't worry."

As if on cue, I am lifted from my bed by three men dressed in blue robes and placed on a hard bed. My head is finally propped up by some pillows so I can see that I'm in a private hospital room. God, it looks like a suite in here! There's three beds- not cots, full twin beds- a mini fridge, and a huge bathroom. What the heck? And then I remember... only the best for Daddy's little girl. This was the same room my mom was in when she got her last Botox surgery last year. I must have spent a week in here... my mom was in no hurry to go home. Conveniently, they were having a new wing put in, our breakfast nook.

"There's my baby!" My mom stands up and walks over to my bed. "And there's her new hubby! Getting along, I see?" She smiles at Connor and he smiles back quickly without taking his eyes from my face. 

"So what did you do, sweetie? Trip down some stairs again?" My dad walks through the door. 

I sigh. "No, Dad... I just-"

"We know, we know. Connor told us. The umbrella hit your fancy shoes. Too bad you forgot that was the three hundred dollar umbrella that your mom bought in Paraguay. It was nearly twenty pounds, I'm surprised you could lift it! Of course, you were on your way to meet your fiancée. Of course you were distracted."

"Dad... give it a rest. Can we have a minute?"

My parents exchange a glance. "Sure." They walk from the room and talk to some doctors about god knows what. I roll my eyes and collapse back on the bed.

Connor laughs. "Are they always like this?"

I smile weakly. "Always."

"But a three hundred dollar umbrella?! What were they thinking?"

"Only god knows."

We laugh for a moment and I look him in the eyes for the first time. "So are you going to fill me in or not? What did I miss while I was out?"

"Well, you've been out for two days. It's Monday now. You went into surgery that night. I'm guessing your foot is numb?" I nod. "Yeah, well, you lost a quart of blood. Nice one there. They kept you in a medically induced coma until today. Your parents stayed during the first part of the surgery and came back today. They saw you in a regular room, being shared with a cancer patient, flipped out, and sent you here. They hadn't had a chance to renew your meds when you woke up."

"Wow."

"Yeah. I've been here the whole time. But these beds look a lot more comfortable." He gestures toward the nice twin beds by the window.

"Wait... why aren't you in school?"

He gives me a strange look. "Aren't fiancees supposed to do things like that?" 

"Oh, my god!" I pull my hand away. What a jerk! "Yes, we're getting married. Yes, fiancees do things like that. Yes, it makes me happy that you did that. But seriously? You didn't do it because you love me or because you really care for me?"

"I barely know you! We've been on two dates. I don't know if I love you. I do care for you. That's why I stayed."

"No, it's not!" I start to cringe away from him. "You did it for your image! You're already popular at school, your parents adore you, and now you're trying to get mine to like you so they'll make me marry you so that you get to be a stupid lawyer!"

"No, I-"

"Yes! You stupid, idiotic, narcissistic-"

"Is there a problem?" A nurse is standing at the door. She looks concerned. At this point, I could care less.

"Yes, there is." I nod my head towards Connor. "This man is harassing me I would like him evacuated from the building without re-admittance. IMMEDIATELY!" I may not want to be a lawyer but I am my father's daughter. 

"Security!" The security is here before Connor can make words come out of his open mouth. They take him away while he's objecting. 

He glances back at me and I yell back: "TAKE THAT, YA JACKASS!"

Yeah, I cuss when I get angry. what can I say?

And that's when they knocked me out again.