Chapter 14

Chapter 14: One Nice Surprise and a Whole Lot of Blackmailing

God, how could he do this to me? 

That's the thought that is spiraling through my head as we drive home. I was released from the hospital two days after I threw Connor out. I had to take the battery out of my cell because every time I turned it on I was greeted with texts and voicemails that made me so angry i nearly punched a nurse. It was an accident, okay?

Anyway, we're driving home. My parents are listening to the traffic report, even though we only live ten minutes away and chatting about the weather. I am blaring my iPod and trying to forget about what happened. I pick up my phone and scroll through my messages. I somehow managed to block Connor's number from my phone... it was a happy surprise.

Mark left me a dozen messages. Nikki and Sarah left ten, and Kim has sent thirty. I sigh and delete all of them without looking. I already know what they're going to say.

We pull into the driveway and I grab my crutches. The doctors insisted that I use them for two weeks, but I'm planning on using them for as little time as possible. I may be miserable, but I don't want pity. Well, okay, I do, but not because I'm a cripple, but because my fiancee is a jerk. Which is obvious but most people just don't see it. 

"Honey, you just go on up to your room, we've redecorated it for you. You relax and call Hansel if you need anything. Your mother and I will be in the gym."

"Oh, trying to work off those six boxes of donuts you ate this morning, are we?" My dad doesn't hear me- he's already inside the glass doors.

Hansel, our butler, opens the trunk and takes out my bags. Normally I would object since I hate having a butler. In the movies, it's always the annoying rich girl that has the butler. I do not want to be the annoying rich girl. (And yes, I know I'm distrating myself, but I really don't want to think about the... issue at hand.) 

"Feeling better, Miss?"

I turn to Hansel and smile. He's always been my favorite staff member. "Yes, thanks. How has your vacation been?" 

He smiles back and leads me to my room. "Very nice. I hope you don't mind what your parents did to your room. It's not my place to give my opinion but it's... not exactly your style."

"Awesome," I say sarcastically. We go up the elevator and I open my door slowly. Inside is a pink wall with white lace border. My wood furniture has been painted white and my sheets are pink and orange spotted. Even my hardwood floor has been covered in light orange carpet. 

"Woah," I say softly. It's actually really pretty. I saw a design like this in a magazine once and left it open on the counter. They must have seen it and called Sebastian, our designer. And then I realize: It's a bribe. "What do they want?" 

Hansel smiles again. He has a nice, soft smile. "For you to call Connor, beg his forgiveness, and marry him on February 14."

"I'm not getting married to that jerk on Valentine's Day! I'm not getting married to anyone! They can't-"

"They're holding your cat hostage until you agree."

"Prince... Prince Willie?!"

"Unfortunately."

I sigh. Prince Willie is very important to me. But is he worth calling Connor and apologizing? I think not. Maybe. But probably not.

I turn around again but Hansel has left my bags in front of a closed door and silently exited. I groan and fall onto my bed. The mattress is really soft. And the wallpaper is so calming... and Prince Willie even has a new cat tower in the corner for him to play with... once they let him go. There's even a tray of sugar cookies made by our cook, Sandra, just a few minutes ago with a glass of milk. It's my favorite. There's even pictures of me and my friends hanging around my plasma TV at the foot of my bed.

Damn, they're good.