8: "an ugly barbie doll"

~•~Alex's POV~•~

I pull up to Elena's house at 8:59pm and text her.

me: here

Elena: be out in a second, jo is taking forever.

I sit in the car for a couple more minutes when my passenger door opens and Elena gets in. She's wearing a black high waisted denim skirt with a cropped light pink tank top and pink heels. Her hair is straightened and she has makeup on. She looks really good. But that's not what I say.

"Wow, I didn't know you could actually put effort into your looks." She rolls her eyes.

"Wow, thanks."

Jo runs out of Elenas house holding a few makeup products, a hairbrush, and her purse. She has some trouble opening the back door but eventually gets inside my car.

"Hi guys." she says out of breath.

"Uh... hi." I reply. I've only really seen this girl in chemistry this year and I'm pretty sure the only thing she talks about is Shawn Mendes.

We pull up to Jacobs house and there are already a good amount of people there. The three of us get out of the car.

"This house is huge." Elena says as she looks up at the mansion.

"What did I tell you?" Jo starts walking towards the door. I grab Elena's hand and pull her behind Jo. As soon as we walk in, Jacob sees me and yells "My man, Alex!" A bunch of people surround me and start to say hi. Elena nudges my arm.

"Me and Jo are getting drinks." She walks away. I know she doesn't like being the center of attention. I probably shouldn't have brought her to a party with me. After awhile I tell everyone that I have to go get a drink, and sneak into the kitchen. Elena and Jo are sitting on some barstools talking. I grab a cup.

"Please don't get drunk, you're my ride home." Elena says.

"Relax, I'm getting Coke." I wink. She rolls her eyes.

"Okay, well I'm gonna leave you two love bugs alone and go find me a man." Jo says as she gets up.

"I thought Shawn was your man." Elena laughs.

"Well he's my future man, I need a now man." Jo says as she walks out of the kitchen. I walk over to Elena and lean onto the counter.

"Wanna go dance?"

"Definitely not."

"Oh, come on, it's a party."

"I don't dance."

"You do today!" I grab her hand and drag her into the next room, where a DJ is playing music in the corner and loads of drunk teenagers are dancing. I pull her into the middle of the crowd and move her hands to the music.

"You're a terrible dancer!" She says, smiling.

"Why thank you." I smirk.

After about 10 minutes, we go sit outside in the back yard with a few other people. I talk to them while Elena listens. I've noticed she's not much of a talker. At about 10:00, a very drunk Steven stumbles up to the group and sits, almost falls, onto a nearby chair. Steven is one of my friends who pretty much is always drunk out of school.

"Hi Jacob hi Rebecca hi Lindsey hi Alex hi... random girl that Alex is dating... I don't know why... but he could do much better... you know? Like... she doesn't even talk... or anything... she just sits there... like an ugly Barbie or something..." Everyone else laughs except me and Elena.

"That's not funny Steven." I stand up. He tries to stand up but falls back into his chair.

" No... it's not... it's just true." He smirks.

I flip his chair and cause him to fall onto the ground.

"Come on Elena, we are leaving." I look down at her and she looks like she's about to throw up. I grab her hand and walk around the house to the front. When we get to my car, she pulls her hand out of my grip and looks at me.

"I can't do this anymore, Alex."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't fake date you anymore or whatever. Not with your friends. I gotta go home." She starts walking down the street.

"You're gonna walk home?"

"Yup"

As I watch her go, I realize that I should be happy. I don't have to give her the money, and I get my shoes. But I'm not happy. I turn around, walk back to the back yard, and face my "friends."

"Okay here's what's gonna happen. You guys are gonna stop making rude comments to Elena cause she's no better than you are, if not better, because she's actually not rude to anyone that's different from her. If anyone has a problem with that, they're gonna go through me." They all looked at me with surprised faces.

"Uh.. sorry man. Didn't know it was that big of a deal." Steven, who is still on the ground, says. I nod and walk back to my car. I drive down the street until I see Elena. She was really serious about walking the 5 miles home. I roll down my window.

"Elena, get in."

"No"

"Please Elena, just let me take you home," She stops, thinks about it, and gets in the car," Thank you." I start driving again. "For the record, none of my friends are gonna be rude to you anymore. Don't ask why." She processes what I said and smiles to herself.

"Okay."

"So... you like music?"

"Of course."

I pick up my phone and turn on Life of The Party by Shawn Mendes. I don't really know it, but I thought it was appropriate for the night. She laughs but doesn't say anything. When the chorus comes I do my classic, awful singing.

"WE DONT HAVE TO BE ORDINARY." Elena bursts out laughing. I smile. When we pull up to her house, she gets out of the car. Before shutting the door, she looks at me.

"Uh... thanks."

"Any time." I say. She walks to her front door and before going inside, looks back at me and smiles. I smile back and my stomach flutters.

What is going on?

A/N
THIS IS THE LONGEST CHAPTER IVE EVER WRITTEN

fun fact this whole chapter was supposed to be 3 chapters, switching between Elena and Alex's POV but I figured it was better as one.

anyway, it was quite the roller coaster of emotions. I hope you enjoyed :)

-m