Chapter 1 🌹

All characters are 16+

Mike pov:

It was lunch time on a winter Monday. It was extremely cold inside that even many of the students were still wrapped in their scarfs and gloves.

I had just grabbed my lunch and headed to sit with my two best friends. Lucas and Dustin.
Dustin is the one with the curly hair with his shiny pearls, he was the mother of the group.

Lucas, the darkish boy who is the disobedient friend and constantly dares you to do things.

Then there is me.

I'm the quiet friend of the group, I like to stay inside my house away from people and only stick to the boys if we do go out anywhere. But can be confident at times.

"Afternoon Wheeler" Lucas chirped. First time I had seen him all day.

"Hi" I bit into my pizza. "How was science?"

"So fun! You missed so much!" Dustin buttered in. "We was blowing shit up!" he then imitated something blowing up in front of everyone.

"Also, a new kid came into our class. He's not new, he was moved to a higher set. We don't know his first name, just his last." Lucas remembered.

"What was that?" I asked. I wondered who this new arrival was.

"Byers." sounded familiar. I just nodded and ate the horrible pizza.

"Sounds like fun" I replied, wiping my hands on a napkin. "Christ, that pizza is hella greasy" I made a disgusted face.

"Anyway" both boys ignored me. "Was thinking we should go to mine tonight, play a bit of DnD?" Lucas asked.

"Why aren't we going to yours to play, Mike?" Dustin asked confused. "We always go to yours!"

"Basement is being remodeled." I stated to the curly boy. "I'm in!"

"Yeah, I'm in too!"

"Great, see you both at mine, 5pm"

...

The rest of school wasn't that fun. I'm not one for learning, only when it comes to science, I unfortunately had a doctors appointment that morning so I missed it.
I was excited to go to Lucas' House, I hadn't been in a long time. First time this year and to play DnD.

I was walking to my locker when I accidentally walked into someone. He was smaller than me, dark brown hair styled into a bowl cut and his eyes wrote fear all over them. His dark brown eyes scanned me.

"Sorry" I told him. He gave me one last look at me and ran off out of the doors.

I shrugged, and finished packing my stuff back up and left the school as soon as possible. I waved to the boys on my bike ride home, excited.

.

I made it home in time for dinner and to see my new basement. It was a lot brighter, the bathroom had been re done and everything was my style. At least my old couch and DnD table was still sat there.

Sitting at the table, I announced I was going over to Lucas' for a bit. Nobody seemed bothered so I left the house without another word.

Eventually, I got to Lucas' house, Dustin's bike already parked outside of the garage and now mine. (Which I dropped without a care in the world).
I entered and ran up to the room to see both boys sitting on the bed, talking. Suspiciously.

Lucas looked at his watch then back to me.

"Excuse me! 5 minutes late!" Lucas tapped his watch.

"Sorry" I laughed. "Anyway, let's play DnD!"

...

Two hours had passed and we were eventually getting bored of it, so Lucas suggested something different.

"Truth or dare"

"That's a girls game!" Dustin protested.

"No its not, shut up!" Lucas argued. "Anyway, Dustin, you're first"

"Truth"

"Do you like anyone?" Dustin said no but you could tell he did, his face was bright red.

We continued for a while until I picked a dare.

"Dare!" I was too excited.

"I'll give you a thousand dollars if you get with byers in the next two months, Mike!"

I smiled. I didn't know what this byers boy looked like; But I accepted the dare and carried on with the game.

...

At school the next day, I asked the boys who 'byers' was. They pointed at the boy who stood next to the library doors with a sad look on his face. I noticed him straight away, it was the kid who I bumped into yesterday.

"Yeah I know him, I walked into him yesterday" I told them.

"Did you say sorry?!" Dustin frantically asked.

"Yes Dustin, I did!" I looked back over to Byers, his big doe eyes scanning the room. "He's cute anyway. He'll be easy to get."

"Go over to him now" Lucas suggested. Well, more of a demand.

I got out of my seat and forced my way over to the small, fragile boy.

"Hey" I tried to act cool. He looked up at me with fear in his eyes.

"Hi" he replied like a mouse. "What's up?"

"Oh nothing, just came to say hi. I'm Mike" I stuck my hand out and instantly felt the cold, tiny ones hold onto mine.

"Will Byers" he removed his hand with a shake and went back to his previous scared position.

"See you around, Will" I waved him off and went back to the boys. "How was that?"

"Don't act so smug just yet. You've not even started the dare." Lucas warned. "But yes, you did great out there Mike."

"Next mission, befriend him" I said outloud.

I hope this dare is as easy as it sounds.