thirteen ☆ red eye

▹

Marie, now back home after the trip to her aunt's house, was ecstatic for her party. The plans had been finalized and a majority of the guests had already said whether they would be in attendance or not.

In the midst of breakfast, she got a bunch of questions—if she was excited for her party, who she was most excited to see, and so on. Though the questions seemed endless, she had no problem answering them.

After breakfast, she sat on the couch in the family room with the television on and phone in hand. As she watched some random show that had already began, her phone chimed.

cam 🐨
morning, M

marie 👼
morning, Cam.
how's your day
going so far?

cam 🐨
pretty good.
i'm packing,
though

marie 👼
ooh, where
are you going?

cam 🐨
Canada

marie 👼
ooh. have
fun then

cam 🐨
thank you,
M. i will

cam 🐨 changed marie 👼 to m ❤️

private conversation
cameron [ cameron 🦒 ]
grace [grace 💛 ]

cameron 🦒
i fly out at 4pm
tomorrow night
so i should land
about 6-7pm

grace 💛
great. you'll be
needing this
[1 address]

cameron 🦒
great, thank you

grace 💛
you're welcome

imessage group chat
"secret plan"
rosalinda [ mami ❤️ ]
pedro [ peter 🙏🏻 ]
grace [ grace 💛 ]

grace 💛 added cameron 🦒

grace 💛
thought i'd
add him now

mami ❤️
hi, Cameron

cameron 🦒
hi

peter 🙏🏻
hello, Cameron

cameron 🦒
hello, sir

mami ❤️
he's respectful

grace 💛
he can see
your message,
mami

cameron 🦒
thank you, ma'am

peter 🙏🏻
i agree with
your mom,
Grace. we're
just happy to
be meeting you,
Cameron

cameron 🦒
well, i'll be
seeing you all
tomorrow night

Later on into the night, Marie was already asleep and Grace—knowing that Cameron would be arriving the next night, the night of the party—was left worried, wondering if everything had been set up for the party like she had wanted or if Marie would actually be happy to see him again. While she paced the family room floor, Pedro walked in.

"What's wrong, mija?" Pedro asked his oldest daughter.

"I'm just worried now. What if Marie sees Cameron and she isn't happy to see him?" Grace said, as she stopped pacing and stood still.

"If she's not happy to see him tomorrow night, there's nothing you can do but with how we know their conversations to go, I'm sure she'll be happy; maybe happier to know that you planned his arrival for her."

Grace smiled, her worry vanishing. "Thank you, dad."

"You're welcome." Pedro stated as he kissed her forehead and wished her good night while he headed up the stairs. Soon, Grace went upstairs and went to sleep as well.