Chapter 5

The walk to school the next morning was especially uncomfortable as the two adults walked one step behind me like they were my bodyguards. Their pure black clothes and dashing appearances didn't help my case as I felt the many eyes of my classmates stop to stare at us in curiosity as we made our way to the school.

"You two aren't going to follow me into the school, are you?" I asked, concerned.

"Its against your school's rules for outsiders to be loitering around the halls." Philip answered. "We will be waiting for you out here, making sure nothing bad comes your way."

As we approached the school gates he grabbed my shoulder and gestured to a large black van parked a little ways down the street. He told me that they would be camping out there and if I needed them this is where they would be. I nodded in understanding before pushing past the two and quickly darting into the school building. I was really not used to being crowded and disliked the twos constant close proximity. As the school bell rung I made my way up to the second floor of the building but instead of heading to my classroom I crept into the women's bathroom. I popped open the small window and crawled out, sliding down the drain pipe to the ground floor before hopping the fence. Ditching class offered me the feeling of freedom that I had been missing out on. I was happy to be away from the two as I made my way towards the south side of town to see Maddy. The streets were completely empty as I made my way down narrow alleyways and littered sidewalks. Stores, mostly of the nighttime occupation, stood closed with their neon signs hanging dull in the barred windows. I turned right down a small alley next to what appeared to be a crude night club. In the alley was a row of garbage cans. While walking by I grabbed the lid off one of the trashcans and held it in front of me like a shield as I made my way towards a tall red brick building. A rusty ladder led to the second floor fire escape which I climbed up gingerly as I was unsure of the old constructions stability. On the second floor I poked my head into an open window and while holding the trash can lid in front of me I called out.

"Hey Maddy~" There was a rattle and a whizzing sound as three long knives were thrown across the room and stuck fast in the trash can lid shield I held in front of my face.

"Not the most friendly of welcomes." I muttered to myself as I put down the impaled lid and crawled inside. An aging male with curly white hair and black rimmed glasses sat in an office chair on the other side of the room. His wrinkled face and sunken eyes gave off the appearance of someone intellectual but his bright blue bathrobe, white tank, and green plaid boxers shorts destroyed whatever integrity the man appeared to have and instead gave off the impression of a bum.

"I was not expecting you today." The man said as he swirled around in his chair to face me.

"I was bored and felt like checking up on you. How's the project coming along, Maddy?" maddy gave me a small tsk as he turned back around to face the desk he was working on he. He scowled deeply as he rummaged through piles of scattered scrap metal and papers before finally finding what he was looking for.

"Come girly and take a look at this." He said as I sauntered over. In his hands he held what appeared to be an extra long silver pocket knife, folded into its metal hilt.

"I call it a Boomerang Blade." The old man said with pride as he held up to the light so I could get a better view. A gave the man a quizzical look.

"I think you're finally losing it, Mads. That looks like a normal pocket knife to me."

Maddy shook his head as a small sly smile tugged at the gray whiskers of his beard.

"Watch this." He unfolded the knife but the metal stuck halfway so the blade formed a 'V' shape with the hilt. He held the hilt between his fingers aiming at a cotton mannequin across the room. He pulled his hand in towards his chest and then threw the knife in a similar way that you would throw a thrisbe. It soared towards it target, slicing the fabric neck of the doll before surprising turning around and flying straight towards us.