Chapter 5

The next day, Danny and Meredith found themselves invited over to Darla's home. He is surprised that she would invite them after her outburst on the set the other day. Then again, the cat figured she was upset and probably calmed down by now. Of course, he didn't know that she had other plans.

Meredith, on the other hand, didn't trust Darla, and she didn't want Danny to make a big mistake.

"Danny," Meredith broke the silence. "There's something you need to know about Darla."

"What's that? That she can be a little crazy at times." Danny shrugged, as he saw the best in people, even Darla still. "Meredith, we're all like that sometimes. I'm sure this is her way of apologizing for what happened. She is America's Sweetheart after all." he smiled trustingly.

"I know we can be a little crazy at times, but Darla is no sweetheart," Meredith frowned.

"Come on, Meredith, you're just worrying over nothing." Danny smiled, confident to see the best. "I'm sure everything will be okay. And when we see her, maybe we can talk to her about L.B. Mammoth."

Meredith sighed. "Alright, just a few minutes. But this really bugs me."

Danny smiled happily, taking her hand and kissed her softly on the cheek. He blushed softly, but walked inside with her.

"Thanks so much for coming over Donald, Mindy. I hope this wasn't inconvenient" Darla smiled sweetly as sugar, stirring her cup of tea.

"Uh, Danny," said Danny chuckling.

"It's Meredith," Meredith faked a smile.

"Oh, hee... Danny, Meredith. Animal cracker?" Darla said showing a bowl full of animal crackers. Danny and Meredith were not thrilled of eating crackers that looked like animals.

"No? More for me," Darla took a bunny animal cracker and bit its head off, much to Danny's and Meredith's discomfort. The girl tossed the rest of the cracker.

"You still think this was a good idea?" Meredith whispered to Danny.

"Ummm... We have to give her the benefit of the doubt?" Danny whispered back, though he was looking nervous now.

"I wanted to apologize for what Max did the other day." Darla cooed as Max's hand was rested beside her. "He can be so bad sometimes." She slapped his hand, though it didn't sound hard.

"Ow."

Danny looked relieved, looking at Meredith out of the corner of his eye with that expression showing. "No, no, it's alright, Miss Dimple. Really."

Darla went on, waving her non-busy hand as she continued eating the animal cracker's heads. "No, no, no it was terrible. Awful. Cruel! Inappropriately violent!" The remains rested sickeningly in front of Meredith and Danny, who gulped.

Meredith shook off the disgust. "Look Darla, I really can't stay long. I got a lot of work to do at the studio."

"Please Mindy, won't you stay? Max really wants to apologize to you. Don't you Max?" Darla looked up sweetly as Max lifted a finger, stroking the top of Meredith's head. "Sorry."

Max messed up Meredith's hair. She fixed it and said, "It's Meredith."

"And I want to make it all up to you," smiled Darla sweetly, turning her attention to Danny again.

"Ha, ha. No, no, you don't have to," Danny began, looking nervous.

Darla shooed his words with her hand, "Oh, I insist! Is there anything you need?" She leaned in close to him.

Danny fumbled, "N-no."

"Isn't there something I could do for you. I really want to make it up to you." Darla was leaning in so close now, her face near Danny's.