Volcanic Dangers

Today was the first field trip of the year. You sat in the back with Howard and Randy. The teacher, Mrs. Driscoll, spoke. "Ah, the annual freshman field trip to Mount Chuck!" She moved her hand to make her skeleton "husband" "talk."

"The world's only man-made volcano!"

The boys looked at the volcano, mesmerized, while you sat back. They talked about being "one of the greats" by spitting into the volcano. You listened in, in case they would invite you. Mrs. Driscoll interrupted your listening by stating some rules.

"Of course we wont actually be going UP the volcano. That's for hooligans, daredevils, and tom foolery. Nope, we're headed to the informative and school-board approved museum of silt!"

Everyone groaned, except Bucky. "Silt! Silt! SILT!" He held up rock-star signs with his hands.

Mrs. Driscoll lead the class outside for one more rule. "One more thing. Every year some numb skull tries to sneak up and spit into the volcano!"

"That's us, you guys!" Randy said, wrapping his arms around yours and Howard's necks. "WE are that numb skull!"

"Which is why we are using the buddy system. If you stray more than 5 feet from your buddy, you get a month's detention!"

Everyone groans again.

"For added security, we are pairing a responsible student with a numb skull. Bucky, you're with Randy."

Bucky groans.

"Flute Girl, you're with Howard,"

Flute Girls rolls her eyes and face-palms.

"(Y/n), you're with Douglas."

You groaned as the imfamous Douglas walked up to you. Doug. The guy who annoys the cheese out of anyone and EVERYONE.

"You know," he said, "you need to stop being so shy. It's really distracting to have someone sit there and not say anything! Besides, studies prove that staying quiet could harm you later when you need--"

"ZIP IT, DOUG!" Howard and Randy yelled over to you, defending you.

Doug just scoffed.

Mrs. Driscoll lead the students into the museum. "Thanks guys," you whispered to the boys, then ran to catch up to Doug. You might not like him, but you sure as heck didn't want detention.

​​​​(TIME SKIP)

You were currently watching a movie on the history of silt. A BORING movie on the history of silt. You watched slugishly, blinking slowly between frames. Rustling caught your attention, and you turned to see Randy and Howard sneak off with their partners. You decided to do the same. You grabbed Doug's wrist and ran past Mrs. Driscoll with very few distractions made. One of the advantages of being shy: you're a ninja, with or without the mask. No one cares, so no one sees. Once you were outside the museum, you tried to run for the mountain, but Doug pulled from your grip.

"We are NOT going up there!" he said.

You groaned, and looked at him with hopeful eyes, your hands together to plead.

He frowned. "I'm not trusting a non-speaker! Especially up a mountain of unforseeable danger!"

You may be shy, but you found the courage to speak just a little. "Please. Its for my friends."

Doug looked at you with wide eyes. A full sentence? That was quick. Then he sighed, partially defeated. "Fine. But I'm telling Mrs. Driscoll later!"

You sighed. "Of course you are. Now come on!"

You walked to the mountain, with Doug following you.
You had to listen to Doug go on and on about how shy you were in the past.