One Before You

The small daycare beside Norrisville High was bustling with children, all eight or younger. Some were playing in the sandbox, some were bullying others, and one was even pretending to be a bat. Everyone seemed cheery.

Except you.

You sat next to a bush on the far side of the playground, away from the other kids. Six-year-old (Y/n) wore a (f/c) dress with matching shoes, knee-high socks, and a little necklace with a tilted, pixelated, blue "G". Your (h/c) hair was pulled back into a little ponytail, tied with a (f/c) band. You were just drawing in a little notebook, not seeing Mrs. Marcy walk over.

"(Y/n), sweetie," she said, kneeling down in front of you. "Why don'tcha go and play with some of the other kids?"

You glance up at her with your innocent eyes, then whimper slightly. "U-uh..." you say quietly. "I-I don't like other kids..."

"Aww, are you a wee bit shy, sweetheart?"

You look up at your caretaker, tilting your head slightly. "Shy...?"

"It means you don't really like talkin' to other folks...! You feel a little sick to the tummy...!"

She lightly pokes your stomach, causing you to giggle. "Y-Yeah... I guess I'm shy...!" You say.

Mrs. Marcy then pats your head and stands. "I'm sure you'll want to play at some point...! But for now, I have to go do something, don'tcha know?"

She walks off toward the school, having you watch.

"One sided seesaw, one sided seesaw, all alone on a one sided seesaw..."

Your head turns to see a little boy on a rainbow seesaw nearby. He wore a red shirt with a dark jacket, blue jeans and purple shoes, a red backwards baseball cap, and had violet-black hair and blue eyes. He sat on the seesaw alone, looking sad and pushing himself up and down ever so slightly. You honestly felt bad for the boy. Usually you weren't very interactive, but this time... you decided to make an exception.

Setting your notebook beside you, you stand and glance around the playground. No one seemed to be interested in you, so you slowly made your way over to the boy. He looks over at you when you're a little over a foot away. "H-Hello..." You say, still a little nervous.

The boy waves and stops the seesaw. "Hi," he says. "You new here?"

You shake your head slightly. "N-no... Why are you alone...?"

The boy shrugs. "I dunno... Who are you, anyway?"

"I-I'm (Y/n)...!" You say, barely above a whisper.

"(Y/n), huh?" He says. "Okay! I'm Randy!"

You smile a bit. "N-nice to meet you, Randy...!"

He smiles, showing a missing front tooth in his grin. "Wanna play with me?" He points over to the empty seesaw seat.

You glance over, then slowly make your way to it. Before you could even touch it, Ms. Marcy comes over and puts another kid on it, causing Randy's side to go up really high, making him hit his head on it. The kid wore a dark blue shirt, light blue jacket, and black shorts. His hair was red and he was rather chubby.

"Randy Cunningham," Ms. Marcy said, looking at him. "Say how's it goin' to Howard Weinerman! Howard just moved here and I thought you'd make a super welcome buddy! Also, one-sided seesaw was bummin' everybody out...!"

She starts walking away, while you only look at the new boy. He looks at you and smirks a bit.

"Hey there~!" He says. "Come here often?"