Love-ish Problems

Valentine's Day.

Yup. That holiday.

The day of the year when people celebrate love and unity, where people get gifts and treats for their special ones.

Except you.

You hated Valentine's Day. Never before had anyone given you a present or treats. No one even said "Happy Valentine's Day" to you. This would be like any other day for you, if there wasn't so much lovey-dovey nonsense everywhere you looked. Every year, you had to suck it up until you got home. The high school was decorated with hearts and ribbons, the band played various love songs in the halls, and even the dancers were doing routines for the holiday. To which, of course, made you sick. Luckily, you had your two friends with you, equally disgusted.

"Bleh, stupid mushy stuff!" Howard complained. "And how dare they eat chocolate in front of me?! They mock my very soul!"

"I know!" Randy added. "It's wonk!"

"No kidding...!" You finished. "Just gets worse every year, huh?"

They both nod, then you all sigh in unison. After a bit, you hear the band come marching down the hallway you stood in. They were playing the instrumental of "Symphony" by Clean Bandit, followed by the baton twirlers. You watched as they went by. Each one of them had a red heart sewed onto their uniform, obviously representing the holiday. You groan and start walking off, with Randy and Howard following.

"Hey guys," Randy said. "Game Hole after school? Everythin's 50 percent off for lonely losers today...!"

"I'm down!" Howard said, obviously hype.

"Can't," you added, making the boys pout.

"Why not?" Randy asked. "You love the Game Hole!"

"I've got stuff to do tonight...!" You add.

"What sorta stuff is better then 50 percent off food and games and chillin' with us??" Howard asked. "That's basically free!"

"I'm working on a song," you admitted. "A mashup, to be specific. It's important. For my parent's anniversary coming up."

"Cool!" Randy said. "Maybe we can come listen later on?"

"Really?" You ask, raising an eyebrow. "You guys at my place?"

"Yeah!" Randy said. "We've never been there before!"

"But fooood!" Howard whined.

"I've got cheese curds and chili fries at my place...!" You say.

Howard's eyes widen, then he grinned. "I'm in!"

"Okay then...!" You say with a smile. "Then it's settled! But until then, we should get to class."

The three of you headed to English, sitting in three seats in the middle row. When the class began, the teacher walked in with a large history book. But not a regular history book. This one looked ancient, marked in black, red, blue, and violet. You didn't recognize any of the runes on it either. He sat at his desk and slammed the book onto his desk, opening it. "Okay, class!" He basically yelled. "Since Valentine's Day is here, the school is required to cancel all tests and assignments for today...!"

The entire class cheered while you, Howard, and Randy did a triple fist-bump.

"So, instead we are required to teach you kids romance through history and other means!"

The class then groaned while Stevens played the sad trombone tune in the back.

"Come oooon!" Howard whined.