P12 - Network

an extended version of this chapter can be found on Patreon (link on my profile)

Reminder this story is 15 parts on Wattpad. It is currently on Part 17 on Patreon! Part 18 comes out tomorrow!

- Zeff

The lights above the mirror illuminated my face. I stared at the refreshed, brightened appearance of my skin. The natural tint of pink across my cheeks and the tip of my nose. A few sprinkled freckles and beauty marks appear darker as my usually warm brown complexion had lightened over the winter. But I noticed the lively, plump look of my skin. I purse my lips and stare at the plainness of my look. I had taken the careful time to handle every strand of my hair with my finger, encouraging the natural definition of the curls with the fruity products moisturizing the strands now. With curiosity, and with Harry's credit card, the makeup department looked fairly interesting. Thick lashes coated in mascara, freshly threaded eyebrows drawn in darker (to my best abilities), and my cheeks glowing with the application of the glistening, burned pink powder.

There's a mess of unpackaged makeup around the marbled counter of his bathroom sink. I remind myself to clean up before he comes back from the firm. Never having really tried out the artistry, I struggled to avoid smudging the jet-black mascara across my eyelids. Rolling up the creamy, brown lipstick, I hear a faint door shut. My head snaps up and I walk to poke my head out of the doorway that leads into his bedroom. I'm greeted by the simultaneous image of Harry pushing his bedroom door open, gazing around the mess of high-end, mundane or hot pink shopping bags leading a trail from the front of his bed to the plush comforter. A grin curves into his lips very faintly, a shake of his head following.

He becomes aware of my presence when I fully expose myself. I stood in a dark, navy blue, mid-thigh dress with a squared collar and long, fitted sleeves. One of the bags contained the heels I was planning to wear for the night, but for now, my feet were bare. I leaned against the doorway, sporting a playful grimace, somewhat apologetic and somewhat teasing. A briefcase in his hand still, his head turned to look at me, he stands straighter and raises his eyebrows at my appearance. The impression it left on him was displayed rather unabashedly in the way his smirk deepens, and his eyes quickly wander my figure.

"So...I guess, I went a little...overboard. Johnson wasn't too happy about it, either," I softly confess to my crimes of indulgence. He shakes his head, a soft laugh passing his lips, teeth on display, and the dimple on his cheek deepening, growing. I watch him approach me, taking a few careful strides around the endless carpet of shopping bags. He sets his briefcase down on the floor, leaning it against the wall beside the doorway before resuming to his dominating height.

My eyes look up and observe his face and the fading amusement on it as he reaches up to move one of my bouncy curls away from my face with his index finger. The gesture is followed by steady examination of my face, "You look pretty," he tenderly whispers.

"Thank you," I whisper back, tipping my head down slightly, averting my eyes away from the intensity of his gaze. His comment was so crucial to my confidence, and that was frightening on its own. It was not just the magnitude of his significance in my life, but more so the mere fact that he was another set of eyes. Of course, eyes that have seen me in a vulnerability nobody else has had the privilege to watch. As a consequence, his words deepened my breaths and saturated my cheeks in a girlish pink hue.

His hand falls and we stand there, both at the doorway, taking careful leaps to converse as the strange quietude of the moment was enjoyable. "I'm glad at least you had a good day," he mutters lowly. The at least meant he didn't.

"Courtesy of the inappropriateness of my boss," I hum softly, sporting a faint, entertained smile.

Harry simply sighs, returning to his neutral expression as he more seriously interjects, "I hope you understand that I did that as...me. Not your boss."