Chapter 2

*20 Years Ago*

Daryl was walking home from the café after declining Glenn and Maggie's offer to drive him home. They knew why he didn't want them driving him home, but they still offered to drop him off a few streets away or something, but Daryl didn't want to risk his family seeing them and putting them in danger.

He walked along the footpath down the main street when sudden honking and shouting erupted behind him. He turned around in confusion spotting Maggie's small Toyota hatchback stopped in the middle of the road while the cars behind her continued to honk.

Daryl quickly jogged back towards the car as Maggie kept trying to turn the key in the ignition, but nothing was happening. Glenn leant over from the passenger seat, but he didn't know what to do either as Daryl came up to her drivers side window and she rolled it down.

"I'm sorry, Daryl. I don't know what's wrong. Tell them I'm sorry." Maggie quickly said, looking over at him helplessly.

"Maggie, it's fine, okay? Just put it in neutral and we'll push." Daryl responded gently, trying to calm her down. "C'mon, Glenn." Daryl said, nodding towards the back of the car as Glenn hopped out and they both walked around to the back about to start pushing when the honking and shouting continued.

Daryl stepped back from the car as he raised his hand towards Glenn. Silently telling him to wait there before he began to walk towards the car that was honking and yelling.

He shouldn't have been surprised to find that it was just one car that was making all the noise, while the other cars must have realised what was going on and were waiting patiently. He stared at the convertible sports car spotting Shane in the drivers seat while five other jocks sat in the back yelling out insults.

Daryl walked up the bright red sports car stopping beside Shane who was staring up at him in amusement. Daryl didn't say anything for a second as he stared at him, sparing a quickly glance to the rest of the assholes in the car before he spotted Rick sitting the back quietly.

"Ya guys wanna get out 'n help us push, or ya just gonna sit there 'n keep honkin?" Daryl questioned, glancing around at the guys in the car before they all quickly nodded and sat back down in their seats.

"It won't happen again."

"Yeah, sorry." They all quickly apologised and Daryl nodded, glancing back towards Rick who looked down, almost ashamed of his friends before Daryl began walking away. He barely took two steps before the honking started up again.

His hands began to form fists by his side, but he kept walking. It probably wasn't a good idea to take on five guys at once, but boy was he considering it if they kept that shit up. He didn't even care that they were Rick's friends, he'd knock them out for yelling at Maggie like that.

"They aren't worth it, man. Let's just push." Glenn called out, noticing the anger in his features and Daryl sighed but nodded as he instructed Maggie to steer the car towards the side street while they pushed.

Glenn pushed by the passenger window while Daryl pushed from the back and it didn't take long to get the car rolling.

Suddenly someone appeared beside him, helping them push as Daryl glanced to his left and had to do a double take when he realised it was Rick. Why the fuck would he want to help?

Daryl gave him a small nod and Rick smiled back as they continued to push the car before Maggie turned off into the side street and pulled over on the side of the road as Daryl tapped the back window to tell her to stop.

"That'll do, Maggie." He shouted and she gave him the thumbs up out her window and parked the car before he began to walk around to the bonnet and pulled it up. His eyes began to scan the engine under the hood to locate what was wrong before he felt Rick's presence from beside him.