Chapter 3

*20 Years Ago*

Daryl was slowly making his way across the school carpark, not even caring that he was one of the last ones to leave the school. He preferred to take his time after the bell rang even if it was only a few minutes, it was still a few minutes that he didn't have to spend at home.

He knew other kids weren't like that, most kids sat through classes just staring at the clock wanting to go home and wishing for the weekend. But Daryl was the opposite and wished for weekends to be over quickly.

It wasn't that he liked school, he actually hated it and thought it was pointless with the stupid shit his teachers would teach. But he'd rather sit through bullshit classes than sit through bullshit with his family.

He thought he was the last one to leave the premises, but then he spotted Rick standing in front of his car in the middle of the empty parking lot with the bonnet up.

Daryl quickly glanced around wondering if there was any of Ricks friends around to help him, but they were alone. For a second he thought about just walking off and pretending like he never saw him, but he couldn't just leave someone with a broken-down car, especially not Rick.

He began to make his way over to the other guy, not saying anything as he reached Rick's side and glanced between Rick and what was under the bonnet.

Rick exhaled deeply as he looked over at Daryl. "I don't know much about cars unless the tyre needs changing, but I turn the key and nothing happens." Rick explained, motioning towards the car and Daryl nodded turning his attention back to what was under the hood as his eyes scanned the engine trying to find the source of the issue.

"Think this is karma? Payback for being party to the honking the other day?" Rick asked causing Daryl to snort.

"Reckon the universe dished out swift justice." Daryl responded, staring at the engine as Rick laughed at what he just said and Daryl couldn't help but smile slightly hearing the man laugh.

"Oh, he speaks. He's sorta funny." Rick commented and Daryl could feel his cheeks blushing slightly as he leant over the hood and reached out towards the battery that had been disconnected as he reconnected it and took a step back.

"Try it now." Daryl muttered, pointing towards the drivers seat. Rick walked around the car and opened the door as he leant through and turned the key as his car roared to life.

"Thank you." Rick responded, a wide smile spread across his face as he leant against his open door, resting his arms over the top as he stared at Daryl who shoved his hands into the pockets of his ripped jeans.

"Your battery got disconnected. Ain't major. It happens." Daryl informed, shutting the bonnet as he took a couple steps in Rick's direction not really knowing what else to say or do as he stared at Rick and sighed.

"My friend thinks ya were tryin' to talk to me the other day." He wasn't entirely sure why he said that, but it had been bugging him ever since Glenn said it.

"I was." Rick nodded, an unreadable expression on his face as he stared at him.

"He thinks I blew it."

"You did." Rick admitted, leaning against his car door as Daryl dropped his head and stared at the ground, not really knowing how to respond to that causing Rick to frown. "Okay, maybe I'm reading the situation wrong, but are you... are you gay? If you're not then forget I even said anything and I won't bother you again, but-"

"Yeah." Daryl cut him off and immediately shut his mouth straight after, shocked that he just said that out loud. Why the hell would he tell Rick? Nobody but Glenn and Maggie knew and he did not want that little bit of information to get out. If his father ever found out that he was gay... he didn't even want to think about how he'd react.