Chapter 6

*Present*

Daryl pulled up in front of Dale's house, but didn't move from the drivers seat of his truck. He just sat there and stared at the house, thinking back to his conversation with Rick after they left the attorneys office.

Why didn't he just talk to the guy? Rick was trying to make conversation and be nice, but Daryl barely spoke and now Rick probably thinks he hates him or something when in fact it's the total opposite. But, Rick was married, he had a whole family of his own and Daryl didn't want to get in the middle of that, but now... Rick probably hates him.

"God damnit!" He yelled, slamming his hands against the steering wheel in frustration.

He kicked his car door open and climbed out before he began to make his way towards the front door of Dale's house.

Taking a deep breath, he pulled the spare key from his pocket and opened the door. Slowly he walked in and just like the garage nothing had changed in over 20 years. There was still the old hatstand by the front door with Dale's signature bucket hat hanging from the top hook. The same wooden table and chairs set up in the dining room with his usual stripped table cloth. Everything was exactly how Daryl remembered it.

Daryl smiled sadly to himself as he wandered through the house, hating but also loving how Dale kept everything the same. He wished he would have visited the old man, but he knew that Dale understood why he never stepped foot inside the town since. But he still couldn't stop himself from feeling guilty about only writing the man letters every couple months.

After doing a small sweep of the house, he quickly realised that he was gonna need a lot of newspaper and masking tape in order to wrap and pack up the old mans belongings. So, after one glance around the house he walked back outside, locking the door behind him before climbing into his truck and heading off to the hardware store.

While in the store he picked up the few bolts and parts that he needed to fix the gear box of the Mustang, throwing them the small shopping basket along with a stack of old newspaper and couple rolls of masking tape.

Once satisfied that he had what he needed he made his way over to the cash register and greeted the old woman behind the counter when his eyes caught sight of someone off to the right looking items on a shelf. No fucking way.

"Just give me one second." Daryl quickly said, turning back to the woman who nodded with a smile as Daryl made his way over to the teenager who grabbed a bottle of acid from the shelf.

"Do ya work here?" Daryl asked, catching the young man's attention as he looked over at him, but quickly lowered his head.

"No, Sir. Just picking up some stuff for family friends." The younger man answered causing Daryl to frown slightly because why would the kid need a bottle of acid for family friends?

"Ya look a lot like an old friend of mine." Daryl admitted, taking in the boys appearance and there was no way this kid wasn't the son of Glenn and Maggie. His features and right down to the kids posture was just a splitting image of Glenn when he was that age, hell, the kid even had Maggie's accent.

"People tell me I look like my dad." The boy explained, looking back over at him and Daryl nodded.

"Glenn Rhee?" He asked and the boys eyes went wide in shock.

"You knew him?" The boy asked, but before Daryl had the chance to respond an all too familiar voice filled the air and his eyes flew over to the front door just in time to see his cousins, Ted and Kyle, walk through the door.

"Goddamn it, Hershel. How many times I gotta tell ya-" Ted's voice shouted before he stopped mid-sentence when he saw Daryl standing there. Ted and Kyle had definitely aged and not like Rick. These two were turning into splitting images of his father and that was not a good thing.