Chapter 5

*Present*

Daryl ended up sleeping on the old foldout couch in the garage just like the old days. It didn't feel right going inside the house to sleep, not when Dale wasn't there. He worked on the Ford Mustang for most the afternoon after Rick left, but he couldn't get the other man out of his head. How the hell had Rick gotten more attractive with age? It shouldn't work like that, but it had and it was driving him crazy.

The following morning he was up with the sun and continued working on the car until he had to clean himself up and go meet with the attorney Andrea Harrison, but for some reason he was nervous.

Daryl wasn't usually one to get nervous, but the thought of seeing Rick again after he awkwardly left the garage yesterday just made Daryl nervous. The guy was married with kids, but it was clear it shook Rick slightly when he saw him at Dales after all those years apart, hell, it shook him too.

He walked through the front door of the attorneys office, instantly spotting Rick sitting on one of the chairs in the waiting area, but before he could even take a step further into the room, a door to their left open and blonde woman stepped out.

"Mr Grimes and Mr Dixon?" She called out glancing between Rick and Daryl because they were the only ones in the room and Rick just nodded, standing up and walking over to her and Daryl quickly snapped into action and followed him.

"Rick Grimes." He said, holding his hand out to the woman who smiled and shook it.

"Andrea Harrison. And you must be Daryl Dixon?" Andrea asked, turning her attention towards him and Daryl nodded, holding his hand out as they shook hands before she held the door open and motioned for them to walk in.

Daryl stayed back letting Rick walk in first before Daryl followed, nodding his thanks to Andrea before he glanced around the room, checking his surroundings before he sat down on the chair beside Rick. Andrea quietly closed the door behind them before she sat down on the chair behind her desk, sitting opposite them.

Daryl could feel Rick looking over at him, but he didn't dare look over at the other man as he focused on Andrea, knowing that if he looked over at Rick, he'd be done for. They just needed to get this over with for Dale's sake and then he and Rick could talk about all the shit that happened 21 years ago.

"Now first thing that Dale Horvath, asked was for me to apologise on his behalf for any inconvenience. He asked that I pass on his gratitude for your being here and your friendship always. His words." Andrea began to say and Daryl smiled softly, that was definitely something Dale would say.

"He would like you to spread his ashes together outside his cabin up north. There is to be no funeral, no reception or store-bought bouquets. Not a dime is to be spent on frivolities. Again..." Andrea began to say.

"His words." Rick and Daryl both spoke up causing Andrea to chuckle softly and nodded.

"He asks that you pack up his things and he would like you to go through it, and take whatever you want. He left instructions that his assets be liquidated and that the proceeds be donated to the American Paediatric Cancer Society." Andrea explained and Daryl didn't miss how Rick's body suddenly tensed, but he couldn't figure out why.

"The only asset not to be sold is the cabin, which he left to you both." She continued causing Daryl to frown as he spared a glance towards Rick who met his gaze for a brief second before looking back towards Andrea.

"Now, typically, in situations like this, one party will buy the other out, unless you're interested in joint ownership." Andrea suggested, but they both quickly shook their heads looking back at each other.