Chapter 12

"Don't. I know what you're gonna say, Daryl. It wasn't your fault." Maggie said, stopping a few metres away from him, but Daryl just shook his head. Glenn's death was on him and there was no way anyone could tell him otherwise.

"It was. M'sorry, I'm so sorry." Daryl apologised, his voice barely a whisper and he wasn't sure if Maggie heard it or not before she suddenly took a step towards him and lifted her hand as she rested it on his shoulder.

"No. You're one of the good things in this world. That's what Glenn thought and he should know because he was one of the good things too." She insisted, her hand squeezing Daryl's shoulder gently as she looked at him. "We told him to get out of the truck. We both did. It wasn't your fault."

"It's just somethin' that lives in my head, ya know? I play it over 'n over..." Daryl trailed off as he stared at the ground.

"Look at me. Look at me. Daryl, you didn't kill him. They killed him... and now it's Hershel." Maggie informed causing Daryl to frown in confusion. "Will and your cousins started coming around when Hershel was about 14. They took him out, eased him in. You know, girls, cars, booze and..." Maggie trailed off and Daryl felt his blood beginning to boil.

"So he's been hangin' around out there?"

"All the time. He didn't get in any real trouble until your father took him under his wing. And now he's running errands for them and making deliveries. He's a good kid. He's not like them. He's like his dad." Maggie explained, her voice breaking at the end as Daryl pulled her into a gentle hug.

"I'll deal with it. You still livin' on your family farm?" He asked a few seconds later as he pulled away and Maggie nodded, confusion forming on her face. "I'll bring him back 'n make sure they stay away from him."

-

After he left the cemetery Daryl drove straight to his families old house after promising himself that he would never go back, but Maggie needed him to. Hershel Jr deserved better than his family, he didn't need to get in the middle of his fathers shit and Glenn sure as hell wouldn't want that either.

He scanned the area as he pulled up and he shook his head at himself as he forced his body to get out the car. The place hadn't changed in the slightest. Maybe things looked a little more worn down and there was more junk scattered around the front, but other than that it was the same as it's always been.

Daryl didn't bother to knock, especially since the front door was open anyway. Silently he made his way through the house, still knowing exactly where all the squeaky floorboards were under the stained carpet as he walked down the hallway.

"What are you doing here?" A male voice questioned and Daryl turned around to find the teenager walking out one of the bedrooms behind him, instantly recognising him as Hershel Jr, since he met him a few days ago at the local hardware store and it was clear the kid recognised him too.

"Hershel, I want ya to come with me." Daryl said calmly, trying to make his voice as least threatening as possible as he looked over at the young man.

"Why the hell would I do that?" Hershel questioned, but before Daryl had a chance to answer the backdoor to the house opened behind him and his eyes widen in shock as his father walked through the door.

"Daryl." Will said, seeming just as surprised as Daryl was as he took in just how old his father had gotten. The past 20 years clearly not being kind to the old man, but that probably had to do with all the alcohol and drugs he's had over the years. If Daryl was honest, he's shocked the man was still alive.

"They told me you were here. What a surprise. It's not even my birthday. What line of bullshit is he feeding you, son?" Will asked, walking past Daryl over to Hershel. "He lives here now, he's family now."