Chapter 14: for the better

After the VKs' therapy session, North separated from the group to clear her mind

You see, it was a lot to take in for a girl who grew up believing that only blood relatives were family. It was also a lot for her to handle the fact that she had once again left her brothers and friends on the isle. Don't even get her started on the anxiety she was feeling about talking to Chad.

Chad.

North was so caught up with her own selfish drama that she forgot about her boy - well, ex boyfriend. Now, the dark-haired girl had another problem to stress over. It wasn't a secret that the VKs were back, specifically the Legume girl who had purposefully ran away. There was no doubt that word had gotten to Chad by now, and it probably wasn't smart for North to hide in their secret spot.

The girl was so overwhelmed that she didn't even realize that she subconsciously wandered off to the rooftop garden. The same place she and Chad had their first date, and many more after. North sighed as she sat on the ground, her back rested on the wall. Thankfully, Auradon Prep was high enough to where she could feel a breeze. What was she supposed to say to Chad? She knew they'd run into each other sooner or later, and she knew Chad was too persistent to leave her alone after their unresolved argument. He wasn't the type to let matters go without closure.

"North." Speak of the devil.

The said girl opened her eyes to see the very prince - that had been consuming her thoughts - stood in front of her. She sunk in his appearance, eyeing from head to toe. The usually well kept prince was a mess. His stubble went unshaven for what seemed like days, and his curls fell in messy locks. Chad's shirt was barely buttoned, and untucked, and his eyes were red. Tears were pricking from the corner of his eyes as he just watched the girl. Neither knowing what to say or how to start.

"Hey, Chad."

"Hey, Chad? That's it? I was worried sick about you, North." His harsh tone caused the girl to wince. Chad noticed and immediately softened his gaze. "You left before I could even tell you how sorry I am. I'm such a shitty boyfriend, I didn't even think about how you were feeling. I-I'm the reason you left. Because of my overbearing need for you to change, I pushed you too much. I'm so sorry, North. I'll always be sorry, and I don't even want you to change. I love you as you are, every single part of you...even your isle side."

Chad sighed. During the time she was gone, he had spent almost every waking moment trying to figure out the right words. He wasn't going to lie, he was beyond hurt that his girlfriend broke up with him in a letter. The prince's egotistical self couldn't fathom the idea. He'd never been rejected before, let alone broken up with. Sure, he had his fair share of womanizing, but the girls never went far as to end it completely. But of course, North was different. She was worth him forcing himself to self reflect and notice his flaws and wrongs. She was worth ruining his public image because he was so fucking scared..so fucking scared. Scared he would truly lose her forever.