Chapter 15 - Cotillion

It didn't take long for North to get ready, well...it didn't take as long as she assumed it would.

The girl had a slight interest in getting dressed up and pampered. Maybe, it was because she felt like a badass when she was dolled up. And, that was exactly how she felt as she stared at her reflection.

It had taken Evie four hours to finish getting her and Mal ready. Of course, the fashion-obsessed VK couldn't help but go overboard with their outfits. Evie just wanted so desperately for her friends to look their best, especially due to recent circumstances. It didn't matter how long the VK's were in Auradon, you couldn't teach affection and that frustrated the blue-haired girl who had no other idea on how to comfort the girls.

Mal and Ben were on shaky terms. The pair hadn't spoken since they returned from the Isle, and the silence only drifted their relationship apart more. The lack of communication was clearly stressing Mal, and it caused the tension in the room to rise. Curse Mal and her pride. North on the other hand wasn't quite sure on what it was exactly that she was feeling. She wasn't overjoyed about the event, after all she just ended her first real relationship - Evie wouldn't stop scolding the Legume girl on her puffy eyes - but she wasn't upset either. In fact, it seemed her mind was more distraught about the Isle than whatever weird thing she had with Harry.

Nevertheless, both girls pushed their thoughts aside, just for the night. North's blue eyes pierced back at her as she soaked in her appearance. Her attire was completely different from what she wore to Ben's coronation. Unlike her princess bright gown, she wore a darker gown. Dark colors weren't common for Auradon residents, so she could only imagine their reactions, and how on earth Evie was able to find such fabric. Her off-the-shoulder dress was dark blue, it had a black lacy glitter fabric woven at the top and around her waist. Although North wasn't exactly short, the dress reached past her feet - and she was in heels - and brushed against the carpet. Her blonde hair was pinned up into a braided bun with rhinestone clips. She was a sight for sore eyes.

"Eve, when did you change our dresses?" North asked as she turned around with tears in her eyes. The girl in question smiled as she scanned her friend's appearance. "Once we got back, the old ones just..didn't feel like you anymore. You look beautiful." North smiled, trying so hard to keep her tears in. She couldn't ruin her makeup already. "Thank you." She whispered, and Evie walked towards the girl, locking their hands together. "Of course. Anything for you, now are you gonna tell me why you're so emotional?" The girls laughed as North fanned her eyes.

"It's just everything happened so fast. I guess I'm finally just processing it, you know? It feels like I've just been on an adrenaline rush this whole time, flying autopilot." Evie nodded, cradling her friend's face. "Hey, look at me. You have been through so much, and the fact you haven't lost it yet proves how strong and amazing you are. You just broke up with Chad like a day after you left your ex. It'd be confusing for anyone to handle, but...I'm always here for you. We all are." North nodded as she held Evie's hands that were against her cheeks. "So, what do you think I should do?" Evie shook her head at the question. "We both know I can't be the one to answer that. Don't worry about it tonight, let's just have fun and forget about boys. Let's act like our age for once." North pulled Evie into a much needed hug.

Evie was right. For once, all North wanted to do was be a kid, and she'd do that tonight. Their hug was interrupted by coughing. Both girls looked up to see Mal at the doorway now changed. "What'd I miss?" The two laughed as they broke apart. "Just the fact that I'm finally going to forget about my problems. You look hot." North complimented, earning a snicker from Mal. Evie pulled the girls into another hug. "I love you guys."

~

The girls had met up with their dates at the event. North gazed past the flashing cameras to observe the cruise ship holding the event. From her carriage, she could see the silhouettes of dancing students on board. Her attention was caught by Chad holding his hand out for her. She smiled at him and took the time to notice his attire. He wore a baby blue suit, much like at coronation, but this one was much more grand and had a magnificent cape draped behind his shoulders. He looked like his father.