Building a Friend

Notes:

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you're ready for your weekly dose of irresponsible not-dad Tony, overprotective Pepper, and adorable Peter! I was looking forward to this chapter because we get a new friend this chapter as you can probably tell by the title,,, prepare for both fluff AND angst today!

Please check out the fanart by @fiapie_01 on my Instagram @kevy_fanfics! She drew Peter in his bumblebee rainboots with STEBE!!!❤
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1EhmOJg9Li/

Have fun and stay safe❤🧡💛💚💙💜

---

"Over here!"

"Mr. Stark!"

"Is it true you adopted a kid?!"

"What's his name?!"

"How long have you been keeping this from the world?!"

"Will he be the heir to Stark Industries?!"

The questions bombard them all at once, leaving them no room to speak or move. Tony knows he has to take charge if he wants to ever get back to the car, but it's also the perfect opportunity to show off how he can be protective the kid. People love to see a protective parent.

"Back off! Let us through!" he shouts, pushing his way through the crowd of people and camera flashes. Tony can feel Peter shaking in his arms and his small hands gripping the back of his neck. When they manage to get back to the car, Pepper tries to relieve Tony of Peter, but Tony keeps a firm hold on the kid. "You drive, I'll sit in back." Pepper looks hesitant, but ends up rushing to the driver's side. Tony slides into the backseat, careful not to let the paparazzi get a picture of the lack of a car seat, and shuts the door behind him. As soon as the door is closed, Pepper drives away from the hectic scene.

"How is he?" Pepper questions worriedly. Tony looks down as Peter clings to him, the boy's breaths quick.

"Uh..." Tony isn't exactly sure how to answer. He pries the kid back to get a good look at the flushed, sweaty face. As soon as they make eye contact, Peter's bottom lip wobbles and he bursts into tears. Peter openly sobs and hiccups between his cries. "Not great!" Tony informs Pepper over the loud crying. Peter wipes his cheeks with his fists, but his gut-wrenching sobs don't stop.

"Hug him!" Pepper orders as she tries to find a gap in traffic to pull over. Tony stiffens.

"I don't do those," he instantly denies, holding Peter slightly away from him.

"You've got to be kidding me," Pepper says under her breath in disbelief. "Kids like hugs! Just do it!" Tony moves his leg to keep the tears from dripping onto his expensive pants and makes no effort to hug the kid.

"It's okay. You're fine," he lamely comforts, glancing between Peter's face and where the tears are landing on the leather seat. Tony just doesn't know what to do. He can barely think over how loud the kid is bawling and he has no clue how to provide physical or emotional comfort in the first place.

Finally, the car screeches to a halt up against the curb. Pepper is quick to get out of the car and onto the sidewalk while Tony is frozen in place. When she opens the door, she doesn't waste a second before pulling Peter from Tony's arms and into her own. Peter wraps his arms around her neck and cries into her shoulder.

"Hey, sweetheart. It's okay, it's okay. You're safe," Pepper softly assures as she bounces the distraught boy in her arms. Tony watches Peter slowly calm down, wondering how a crying kid is ever going to get his company's positive image up and running again. This is such a waste of valuable time, he thinks. I'm wasting my time with a toddler when I could be in the workshop. Last time I ever listen to Obi's advice. The pessimistic thoughts continue to race through his mind, but they're merely a distraction to hide the fact that he feels sorry for Peter. The onslaught of paparazzi caused the poor kid to freak out, and Tony feels bad about it. He isn't completely heartless. Still, he wouldn't ever admit his guilt. If it gets him some positive PR, then he doesn't regret it.