VI

"SO WHO'S YOUR PARENT?" Nico asked once Percy had left

Selena shrugged, "I don't know yet."

"What do you mean?"

Selena explained what it means to be determined, and how she has yet to be claimed by her Godly parents. Nico pulled out all his cards and started asking questions so they could figure out who her parent was,

"I don't think it works that way, Nico." She smiled kindly,

The hunters began breaking down camp quickly and Percy walked back over to them. They started asking questions, mainly Grover, about what happened when he was with Artemis.

Percy's face fell. Bianca joined the Hunters of Artemis and they're now going with them back to Camp Half-Blood,

Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"How'd they even show up here?" Percy wondered. "I mean, they just appeared out of nowhere."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no good—"

"Who can blame her?" Grover said. "Eternity with Artemis?" He heaved a big sigh.

Thalia rolled her eyes. "You satyrs. You're all in love with Artemis. Don't you get that she'll never love you back?"

"But she's so... into nature," Grover swooned.

"You're nuts," said Thalia.

"Nuts and berries," Selena smiled,

"Yeah." Grover sighed dreamily,

Finally, the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so-o-o lazy during the winter."

"You're, um, waiting for sunrise?" Percy asked.

"For my brother. Yes." Percy looked confused, "It's not exactly as you think," Artemis said, 

"Oh, okay." Percy replied, "So, it's not like he'll be pulling up in a—"

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth.

"Don't look," Artemis advised. "Not until he parks."

Selena averted her eyes, and saw that the other kids were doing the same. The light and warmth intensified until her winter coat felt like it was melting off of her. Then suddenly the light died.

Selena looked. And she couldn't believe it. There was a red convertible Maserati Spyder. And the red metal was glowing cause it was so hot. The snow had melted around the Maserati in a perfect circle, which explained why she was now standing on green grass and her shoes were wet.

The driver got out, smiling. He looked about seventeen or eighteen, and for a second, Selena had the uneasy feeling it was Luke, her old friend/new enemy. This guy had the same sandy hair and outdoorsy good looks. But it wasn't Luke. This guy was taller, with no scar on his face like Luke's. His smile was brighter and more playful. (Luke didn't do much more than scowl and sneer these days.) The Maserati driver wore jeans and loafers and a sleeveless T-shirt.