XII

SELENA NOTICED PERCY WASN'T AT DINNER, so afterward she went to go find him

SELENA NOTICED PERCY WASN'T AT DINNER, so afterward she went to go find him. Unfortunately, she got stopped by Zoe Nightshade herself.

"A quest has been given." She told her.

"Not interested," Selena replied, trying to move around the taller girl.

Zoe stepped in her way, "Do you not want to find thy friend, Annabeth Chase?"

Selena paused, "Ok. You've got me hooked, Hunter Girl. But why me? Why not Percy?"

Zoe narrowed her eyes, "I would rather not go on a quest with a... boy" She shuddered, "You are a wise girl, Selena Madison. The Huntresses and I have been observing you."

"Why?"

"We wish to recruit you."

Selena let out a laugh, "Thanks, but no thanks." She said before continuing to Percy's cabin.

"I do not understand why you would not at least consider it." Selena stopped and waited for Zoe to finish, "You are still unclaimed after many years of investing yourself at this place. Why not join us? Artemis will claim you as her own even if you are not blood. You can have a family."

Selena looked over her shoulder, "I already have a family." She told her before leaving.

"We leave at dawn." Zoe said from behind her, "If you want to find your friend you will come with us."

Selena kept walking until she was far enough away from the Huntress before stopping. She really wanted to go on this quest and find Annabeth. She even felt kind of honored that Zoe wanted her to come. But would she be betraying Percy? He also wanted to go on this quest but was shut down. She's going in his place.

There's also the fact that two of them are going to die on this quest. Would she be one of them? Either lost in the desert or her parent would kill her.

How ironic. Selena's spent years trying to figure out who her Olympian parent was and they were going to kill her. Or one of the others on the quest.

"I need to talk to Percy." Selena sighed before finishing the distance between her and his cabin.

She knocked on the door and waited for Percy's grunted reply before walking inside. She wrapped her arms around herself as she made her way inside,

"Hey." Selena muttered, standing awkwardly in the middle of the cabin.

It was a lot colder in there than it usually was. Perhaps it was because of the weather outside or maybe the mood of the person who lives inside.

Percy was sat on his bed, one hand behind his head and the other twirling his pen between his fingers,

"Hey." He glanced at her for a moment before focusing on the pen again, "I assume they've told you?"

She nodded, "Yeah." Selena walked over and sat by his feet, "Please don't be mad at me."

"Why would I be mad at you?" Percy asked, sitting up and digging through his bag.

"Because I know you wanted to go on this quest. And they chose me to go instead." She stated,

"So you're going?" Percy tossed her a hoodie and she quickly threw it on,

"Yeah." Selena kept the hood over her head and stuffed her hands into the pockets. Percy scoffed and she glared at him, "I'm doing this for Annabeth, Percy. You know those hunters aren't going to look for her."

"Are you sure you aren't there for recruitment? To show them what you can do?" Percy asked, leaning back against the wall,

"What are you talking about?" Selena narrowed her eyes, "I'm not planning on joining the Hunters of Artemis."

"Not planning on it?" He sat up, "So you're thinking about it?"

"No!" Selena stood up, "Percy, I wouldn't do that without talking to you and Annabeth about it first." She sighed, "Look, I didn't come here to talk about them." She sat back down and turned to look at Percy, "I won't go on this quest if you don't want me to. I'll request that you go in my place."

Percy shook his head, "Don't do that."

"Percy, I-"

"Look, S, if I was meant to go, then I would've been chosen. So, go. Find Annabeth." Percy interrupted.

Selena sighed, "It won't be the same without you."

Percy reached over and squeezed her hand, "You'll be fine. You have Thalia and Grover with you."

Selena smiled and stood up, "See you later, Aquaman."