XXXV

IT WASN'T EASY FOR THEM TO SAY THEIR GOODBYES

The thunder and lightning were still boiling over Mount Tamalpais in the north. Artemis was so upset she flickered with silver light. This made Selena nervous, because if she suddenly lost control and appeared in her fully divine form, they would disintegrate by looking at her. That would be a fun way to end the quest.

"I must go to Olympus immediately," Artemis said. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."

The goddess set her hand on Annabeth's shoulder. "You are brave beyond measure, my girl. You will do what is right."

"And you, unclaimed daughter." Artemis turned to Selena, "You are much more than what the others make of you. You're stronger than what I've imagined."

Then she looked quizzically at Thalia, as if she weren't sure what to make of this younger daughter of Zeus. Thalia seemed reluctant to look up, but something made her, and she held the goddess's eyes. Selena wasn't sure what passed between them, but Artemis's gaze softened with sympathy. Then she turned to Percy.

"You did well," she said. "For a man."

Selena silenced her laugh when Annabeth elbowed her in the side, 

She mounted her chariot, which began to glow. They averted their eyes. There was a flash of silver, and the goddess was gone.

"Well," Dr. Chase sighed. "She was impressive; though I must say I still prefer Athena."

Annabeth turned toward him. "Dad, I... I'm sorry that—"

"Shh." He hugged her. "Do what you must, my dear. I know this isn't easy for you." His voice was a little shaky, but he gave Annabeth a brave smile.

Then Selena heard the whoosh of large wings. Three pegasi descended through the fog: two white winged horses and one pure black one.

"Blackjack!" Percy called.

The son of Poseidon began speaking to the pegasus and Selena turned to the girls, "Are you guys okay?"

Thalia looked at them, "Are you two okay? You're the ones who held up the world."

"Don't wanna talk about it." Annabeth and Selena said at the same time.

Soon enough, Annabeth gave her father one last hug and the four of them were heading back towards New York.

Selena sat behind Percy, her arms wrapped around him as she fell asleep on his back. She really needed a nap.

She felt cold. As if she was dropped into a pile of snow only wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

In front of her stood a younger girl, with chocolate skin and golden eyes, twinkling at her, "Lena, this is..."

"I know you." A familiar voice said. But she couldn't see who was speaking,

"I'm sorry, you must be mistaken." Selena replied. She couldn't control the words she was saying.

"No... I know you. I just can't-"

"But I don't know you. Therefore, you're mistaken."

"I'm Percy Jackson."

"Sorry, still don't know you, Perry. Welcome to Camp Jupiter. See you around."

It only seemed like minutes later when Percy shook her awake, "There it is." Thalia's voice; Thalia said. She was pointing toward Manhattan, which was quickly zooming into view. "It's started."

"What's started?" Percy asked.

Then they looked where she was pointing. High above the Empire State Building, Olympus was its own island of light, a floating mountain ablaze with torches and braziers, white marble palaces gleaming in the early morning air.

"The winter solstice," Thalia answered, "The Council of the Gods."

They circled over midtown Manhattan, making one complete orbit around Mount Olympus. In the early-morning darkness, torches and fires made the mountainside palaces glow twenty different colors, from bloodred to indigo. Apparently no one ever slept on Olympus. The twisting streets were full of demigods and nature spirits and minor godlings bustling about, riding chariots or sedan chairs carried by Cyclopes. Winter didn't seem to exist here. Selena caught the scent of the gardens in full bloom, jasmine and roses and even sweeter things she couldn't name. Music drifted up from many windows, the soft sounds of lyres and reed pipes.

Towering at the peak of the mountain was the greatest palace of all, the glowing white hall of the gods.

___________________________________________

EEk! I've finished writing this book so expect some sudden updates from me in the next few days! It took me a few months to re-write, and it's not as good as the original one I wrote, but I hope it satisfies you guys! 

The rest of the series is written, so hopefully we can get this chapter of Selena's adventures finished and onto some more!

I have plans for the whole crew after The Last Olympian and I'm so excited! Yes this whole plot and original characters (as you probably read above) that you have yet to meet will carry onto The Heroes of Olympus and maybe beyond.

Enjoy!