XXXVII

THERE ARE PARTIES, and then there are huge, major, blowout parties

THERE ARE PARTIES, and then there are huge, major, blowout parties. And then there are Olympian parties. If you ever get a choice, go for the Olympian.

The Nine Muses cranked up the tunes, and Selena realized the music was whatever you wanted it to be: the gods could listen to classical and the younger demigods heard hip-hop or whatever, and it was all the same sound track. No arguments. No fights to change the radio station. Just requests to crank it up.

Dionysus went around growing refreshment stands out of the ground, and a beautiful woman walked with him arm in arm—his wife, Ariadne. Dionysus looked happy for the first time. Nectar and ambrosia overflowed from golden fountains, and platters of mortal snack food crowded the banquet tables. Golden goblets filled with whatever drink you wanted. Grover trotted around with a full plate of tin cans and enchiladas, and his goblet was full of double-espresso latte, which he kept muttering over like an incantation: "Pan! Pan!"

Gods kept coming over to congratulate them. Thankfully, they had reduced themselves to human size, so they didn't accidentally trample partygoers under their feet. 

"If I did not know any better, I would say you were disappointed that I did not choose you to be my new lieutenant." Selena turned to see the young-looking goddess standing next to her as she watched Apollo talk to Percy.

Selena sighed, "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about it."

"You think becoming a Huntress will save you from your prophecy?" Artemis asked,

"Does everyone but me know about this prophecy?" Selena huffed, "Besides, it's working for Thalia, isn't it?"

"The prophecy is not for the daughter of Zeus. It is for that boy. We all know that now." Artemis responded,

"There's no way of stopping my death, is there?" Selena asked and the goddess of the hunt and she shook her head,

"Right." Selena sighed, "Prophecy."

She walked out into the courtyard and sat down on one of the stone benches. Everything was being thrown at her.

She didn't know if she was disappointed or not that Artemis didn't choose her. Maybe it would've stopped her death, but it's not inevitable.

But she didn't want it. Because that would mean giving camp Half-Blood up. Giving her friends up. Giving Percy up.

"Hey." Speaking of the devil, he walked over to her and she gave him a small smile,

"Hi."

"Didn't want to join the party?" Percy asked, sitting down beside her.

"Don't really have much to celebrate." She sighed, "Biance and Zoe are dead. Thalia's leaving to join the Hunters."

"Luke's alive." Percy stated,

"Of course." They sat in silence for a moment, "So... what did you want to tell me earlier?"

They could hear the music playing. People were dancing in the streets. Percy cleared his throat, "I, uh, was thinking we got interrupted at Westover Hall. And... I think I owe you a dance."

Selena smiled slowly. "All right, Aquaman."

The two stood up and Percy took her hand, and she doesn't know what everybody else heard, but to her, it sounded like a slow dance: a little sad, but maybe a little hopeful, too.