Chapter 10

Unwanted Interruptions

"Don't have sex, man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them." - Steve Martin

"Oh," I gasped again.

James grinned crookedly with a smirk so devilish I felt my knees go weak as my heart began to hammer inside my chest. "That's all you have to say?" he asked me sinfully with a husky voice that was drenched with snogging.

Not trusting myself to speak, I merely nodded. When did my face start to get so red? Merlin, I needed to breathe. Okay, in and out. You could do this, Lily.

"Let's see if I can make you say something else," he voiced deeply as he brushed his lips against the base of my neck. He paused to blow on a wet spot, and I shivered. He chuckled deeply, and my eyes fluttered close at the sound and the vibrations of his body against mine. "Preferably my name," he continued as his lips traveled up my jaw and then began to tease my lips. He took my bottom lip into his mouth and began to suck on it.

I felt my eyes begin to roll to the back of my head. "James," I breathed.

"Hmm? What was that?" he tormented.

Embarrassed by the pure volume of my moan, I tore my lips away from his. "James," I called a bit out a bit louder this time.

His mouth moved back down to my neck and his lips devoured the skin there. He was going to leave a mark. "James," I tried to say again but almost no sound came out.

He laughed throatily as his lips moved to my earlobe. My breathing completely stopped as he nipped the tip of my ear and then used his tongue to-

My body lurched forward into a sitting position. I raised my hand to my face and wiped the sleep away from my eyes. I looked down at my familiar yellow sheets and frowned. My face was heated, and I knew that it wasn't because of the temperature of my room. I closed my eyes wistfully and tried to recreate the last few moments of my dream. It had been so better than the reality.

"Oh."

James opened his mouth to say something, but the porch light turned on. I looked up at the light and blinked in confusion. James, too, seemed paralyzed with puzzlement. The front door opened, and my mum's anxious face came into view.

"Oh!" she exclaimed in relief. "It's just you two. I heard a noise, and I thought there were robbers, or something."

I stared at my mum and nodded dumbly. Robbers? We lived in a simple muggle neighborhood. The last reported crime had been when a kid's cat had been stolen three years ago-when really his parents had just lied about running over it with their car.

"Why don't you two come inside? It's awfully late. Where's your sister?"

I stepped into the house. "Tuney is still out with Vernon," I replied in a weak voice.

"She didn't come home with you?"

I shook my head.

Mum sighed. "Ahh, well. Let's get you two off to bed," she decided as she rushed us up the stairs. We reached my room, and my mum turned to James.

"James, dear, I was wondering if I could peek into the guest room for a moment before you get ready for bed. I think I have a box of school supplies I need hidden in the closet there someplace."

"Sure, Mrs. Evans."

"I figure I'll sort through that as I wait for Petunia to come home. Maybe I'll make a spot of tea," she mused to herself. "Well, off to bed, Lily."

I nodded and then opened the door to my room. "Night, Mum." My fingers hesitated on the doorknob. I looked over my shoulder at James. I tried to tell him with my eyes that I didn't want this to be the way we had to end the night, that I wanted to talk to him more, that I wished my mum had not chosen this night of all nights to prowl the hallways. I needed him to understand that the lack of our usual midnight talk was not my doing but that of my overbearing mother. I wanted to find out what had just happened between us. Had it meant what I thought it meant?