Chapter 11

Sneaky Snogging

"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." ~Albert Einstein

I woke up on Thursday without anyone waking me up. I opened one eye and peered around my room. The sun was shining, and everything was completely silent except for a few birds chirping outside my window. I took a deep breath and savored the scent of my freshly washed sheets. I stretched my arms above my head and glanced quickly at the clock. It read 12:07 P.M.

I sighed happily. Life was good.

Leisurely, I sauntered off into the bathroom and brushed the disgusting morning taste out of my mouth with liberal amounts of mint toothpaste. Then, I combed out my hair so that it no longer resembled a small, furry rodent. It could have been either a possum or a ferret, whichever one was uglier. Finally, I washed my face. As I dried off with a towel, I looked in the mirror, and I realized I was smiling. I recognized that for the first time in a long time, I was truly and incandescently happy.

Merlin, if Hestia could see me now. Lily Evans was happy because of James Potter - and not because she had just hexed him. It really was a sign of the apocalypse. I should have sex before I die - that and get some gelato in Italy.

I skipped down the stairs and into the kitchen.

James was waiting for me at the kitchen table. I eyed him appreciatively. He had already changed into some tan shorts and, bless my soul, another button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. This boy was going to lead to my demise. He put down the muggle newspaper he was reading, ruffled his hair, and smiled at me.

I smiled back instantaneously. I felt an inexplicable attraction to him, like I was a magnet being pulled by all his positive energy. His eyes glazed over me from bottom to top, straying over a few areas for a tad too long, before his gaze reached my eyes.

"Good morning, Lily," he greeted me with a soft voice.

"Morning," I squeaked back at him. Great, he could sound all seductive and irresistible, and I sounded like a squawking hippogriff.

"Oh, Lily, you're up," I heard my mum call out.

I jumped a bit. I had been so enthralled by James that I never looked to see if anyone else was in the room. Galloping gargoyles, that was a weird sentence.

"Oh, hi, Mum," I replied back shakily.

"Hello, dear, have a seat, and I'll get you some lunch," Mum offered as she dried off her hands with a towel.

"What about breakfast?" I asked.

"You slept through breakfast," she told me.

"So?" I argued as I walked up to her at the counter. "Just because I'm a late sleeper doesn't mean I should skip meals. I like to obey all sections of the food triangle."

"And what are those sections again?" Mum taunted.

"Cupcakes, chocolate, and mint chocolate chip ice cream," I replied back cheerfully.

Mum sighed. "What do you want?" she asked in defeat.

"A peanut butter sandwich, please?" I asked sweetly.

"Fine," Mum acquiesced.

I grinned at her. "You're the best mum ever, Mum," I told her.

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah," she muttered before grabbing some bread from a cabinet behind her. "Go sit down, you spoiled brat."

I grinned wider at her and then sat down next to James. He looked over his shoulder and watched my mum. I glanced too, and when she had stuffed her head into the kitchen pantry in search of peanut butter, James pulled my face to his and kissed me.