Chapter One

"Arcee?" Arcee looked down at Miko, who was lounging on the couch. Raf and Jack were playing a racing game. The base was practically empty, with the exception of Rachet, who tinkered quietly. The rest were out examining a remote energon mine and were not expected back for quite a while. 

           "Yes, Miko?" Miko threw her legs over Jack, who lifted up his controller and kept playing without comment. 

           "Do autoboots fall in love?" 

           " Excuse me?" Raf and Jack's eyes flickered to one another, exchanging subtle glances of interest. 

           "Do Autobots fall in love?" Miko repeated, her tone light. She had likely not realized the gravity of the question she had asked. Rachet glanced briefly up from his work, interested in how Arcee would reply. 

           "That depends."

           "What do you mean?" Miko demanded. 

           "What I mean is that the answer is complicated depending on what you mean. I believe the answer to the question you intended is yes, but the question you asked has a much more complicated answer."

           "You lost me," Miko confessed. Arcee sighed. 

           "To explain I would have to go back a long ways and tell a very long story."

           "We have plenty of time," Jack pointed out offhandedly, attempting to be coy in his attempts to coax the story out of Arcee. Arcee sighed again. 

           "Fine," she relented. Miko shifted on the couch, making herself more comfortable. "It starts back on Cybertron, in the beginnings of the war."