Chapter Five

"Arcee!" Arcee whirled around to see Bumblebee barreling down the hall toward her. She smiled. 

           "Yes, yes, what is it Bee? We're going to be late for class. I didn't make it early to class all year just to let my attendance be tarnished by one incident in the 3rd quarter. You know-"

           "Yes, I know. This first year is essential for making a good impression if we hope to someday make it onto team Prime. Cee, I've heard this from you so many times I could recite it in recharge. I probably do. It's all you talk about." Arcee rolled her optics. 

           "Did you need something?"

           "I just wanted you to wait up. What's got you in a rush today? You left me behind  at the end of free period. I took two cyberseconds to catch up with Cliffjumper and when I turned around you were gone."

           "I'm sorry I don't have time to sit around all day and wait for you to socialize, Mr. Popularity," she mocked. He rolled  his optics. 

           "Whatever, let's get to class." As they were moving along, Arcee's datapad beeped. She glanced at it. She quickly attempted to hide it, but Bee was too quick. 

           "Why is Knockout trying to contact you?" He wondered curiously.

           "Why, jealous?" She teased sarcastically, in a coy attempt to avoid the subject. 

           "Very funny," he said. "But you're not getting away that easily." Arcee shrugged. 

           "I'm actually not sure," she confessed. "He's been trying to contact me all week."

           "And?"

           "And what?"

           "So you just haven't been answering?" He said as the beeping stopped. She shrugged. "It's probably a prank or something. Why else would Knockout, one of the most popular mechs in the academy, be trying to contact me?" 

           "Um, because you're a smokin hot femme and he wants to ask you out?"

           "Bee, please."

           "What? You act like it isn't true!"

           "You know it isn't."

            "The only thing I know is that it isn't NOT true."

           "You're impossible." The datapad started beeping again. 

           "Come on, answer it. Live a little." Arcee ignored it and Bee as they entered the classroom. He rolled his optics. She was unbearably difficult. 

~~~

           "Come on, Arcee," Bee pleaded as the pad beeped once more. They were sitting outside of the academy. 

           "Bee, I'm not popular. There is no way he actually want to date me."

           "I disagree."

           "I don't care."

           "Fine!" Arcee picked up the datapad and answered the call. Knockout's face appeared on the screen. 

           "Hey," he said, sporting a charming smile. "Why have you been avoiding my calls?"

           "Why are you calling me?" Arcee redirected, with a little edge in her voice. 

           "Straight to the point," he commented. "Sure, I can respect that. The thing is, I'm never able to catch you around the halls at the academy, and I've kind of wanted to ask you out since the third week of the 1st quarter." 

           "Why?" Arcee asked, still skeptical. Bee facepalmed silently behind her. Knockout laughed. 

            "Um, because I like you?" he chuckled. "You're an amazing fighter and I think you're great." Arcee softened a little bit. 

            "Um, okay." She agreed. 

            "Great!" Knockout exclaimed. "How about tomorrow I just meet you after last class on the front steps and we'll take a drive?" he suggested. 

           "Sounds fun," Arcee said. 

           "Alright, see you then." The datapad screen went black. 

           "I can't believe you," Bee said as soon as he was sure the datapad was off. "He must really like you because otherwise you would have totally blown it." Arcee shrugged. 

           "Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked. He shrugged. 

           "No. But no one ever is. You just have to take that chance."