Chapter Ten

"Woah, who knew Bee and Arcee were a thing," Miko commented, settling down on the couch. 

           "Technically, they weren't a thing," Raf said. 

           "Yeah, because Bumblebee pushed her away so that they could be the best warriors ever, and now they are!" Miko pointed out. "What's stopping them from getting together now?"

           "Well, Arcee said she didn't feel that way about him," Jack said. 

           "No," Raf corrected. "She said at the time she had never thought about him in that way. That doesn't mean that she doesn't feel that way now, although we have no way of knowing and frankly we don't know if Bee even still feels the same way." The other two shrugged in agreement.

           "I guess we'll never know," Jack said. Miko ran off to find her guitar, and after a little bit in silence, Raf pulled out his laptop and began working on a school project.

           "Hey, Raf," Jack said. "I just wanted to ask you, because there's this girl I really like, and-"

           "I'm sorry," Raf said. "But I don't have time to help you with your Miko problems," he continued without looking up from his laptop.

           "Miko? Why would I be asking about Miko?"

           "Because you like her?"

           "What?" Jack exclaimed. "No I don't!" Raf looked up from his laptop to give him a look. Jack also noticed Ratchet giving him a look, which was unnerving.  "There's no way!" he cried. Raf gave him another skeptical look before turning back to his lap top. He waved his hand dismissively. 

           "Go work through your denial somewhere else, please," he directed. "I'm trying to finish my pre-calculus homework." Jack groaned, irritated, and decided to take a walk. He eventually made his way to the roof. He discovered that Arcee was already up there. 

           "Hey, Jack," she said, before he could decide whether he should head back and leave her alone or not. She invited him to come sit with her. It had been a while since he and his guardian had sat down and had a heart to spark. 

           "Cliffjumper?" he asked. 

           "A little," she admitted. "But Cliff isn't the only bot on my mind right now."

           "Is Bumblebee going to be okay?"

           "For right now? Yes. For the long term, I'm really not sure. He insists on getting himself hurt every time we're out on the field and I know he's better than that."

           "You think he's doing it on purpose?"

           "I'm not sure." She stared off into the sunset before looking down at her little partner. "What about you, partner? You wouldn't have come up here unless something was on your mind. No one ever does." He sighed. 

           "Well, it's just that for a long time, I thought I liked this girl named Sierra, the girl I was talking to when I first met you?"

            "Yes?"

           "Well, Raf said something today and I realized that I don't know anything about her. At all. The only way I know her is by seeing the back of her head for thirteen years, and two run-ins at work." He decided it would be best if he left out the time that he took Bee racing. "I never really liked her, is I guess what I'm getting at. I had nothing to like. I just thought she was pretty. But I'm realizing now that holding on to that was my version of a safety net. I guess I figured that if I admitted who I really did like, then that would be it. This thing is real."

           "I'm not sure I follow, Jack."

           "This. You guys. Cybertron. Decepticons. This. If I ever admitted that I liked Miko, I felt like that was sealing the deal. This is my life now. Looking back, it's stupid. I mean obviously it was my life, but I guess I always felt like I should have an escape if I needed to. Now I'm not sure why. I'd never want to leave this."

           "You did try," she reminded him with a smile. "And if I remember correctly it was Miko who went out hours later and found you to try and convince you to come back."

           "She didn't."

           "Of course not. That's my job." The partners shared a laugh. 

           "You're still worrying about Bumblebee," Jack guessed. Arcee sighed. 

           "I never really stop."