Chapter 4 -Wings

"what are you thinking Letha? You literally could not choose a bigger potential issue, than Roman Godfrey." your Uncles voice echos through the house, as you attempt to sneak in at 3am.

"I'm only letting him stay in the guest house because it's so late." I lied. I was actually planning on staying in there too and was only coming in here to get some toothbrushes, soap, toilet paper etc., since the guest house was furnished but literally had never been used, and was going to sneak back out but this was entirely unexpected.

"You don't have any clue what he truly is, what you truly are! I thought it best to keep thiswhole world from you, but I regret tht now." He walked over to me with the most puzzling look on his face... could it be fear? "I just was so afraid, Id lose you like I lost my dear twin sister. But this is a whole new way to lose you!" he struck the counter, making me jump. He was never violent and bsolutely never spoke of my mother.
"Bat shit crazy must be hereditary. You told me her stories of Angels, and Demons, Aliens and all that was bullshit! You told me she was crazy! Dangerous even! It's the only reason I forgave you for having her..." I couldn't say it.
"She was dangerous, and the only way to stop her was to lobotomize her, it was the only option that left our hands clean!"
"Don't fool yourself into thinking there was no blood. You left the room, I stayed the entire procedure. I saw the light in her eyes extinguish."
My uncle took a deep breath, before looking up at me sadly, "what she did to you was unforgivable. She wouldn't have stopped. She was fully aware and supportive of what your father had planned to—-"
I couldn't talk about that night so I cut him off, "we don't talk about him."
"Tell me what you remember from your mother."

"My mother was an actual lunatic that belonged in an asylum Uncle! She burned brands into my skin to ward off demons! She said we were one of many alien species marooned on planet earth because of our ancestors indiscretions and doomed to live out our lives with lowly humans. She said that each race had powers but if we used them, we all had to pay a great price."

My uncle nodded thoughtfully."keep going. What else did she tell you?"

"She said we are fucking angels for chrissake! Except angels arent good or bad, but naturally were generally good. She said there are also Demons, and they arent good or evil either, but lean towards the bad. She said I was a hybrid, daughter to a 200 year old angel that could live forever but could die a natural death, and a thousand year old demon that could only die from decapitation. Except neither of them were what they seemed. She said that if I bred with a species of Demon, our child would be powerful. Then she left me with my father who had never been anything but kind and supportive! Who tells their child their father is a demon before leaving you with him for months without a word? I was fucking 12 years old and well... you know the rest of that story." I was now hyperventilating and needed to calm down.
I focused on my uncle. He was my savior, I trusted him. Everything was ok. He would never try to hurt me. I needed to listen what he had to say. I could remember that night like it was yesterday.

I didn't like to speak on it and I saw when I mentioned it, he cringed at that terrible memory as much as I did.
Before I could stop it, the memory slammed into me, knocking the air out of me. Flashes of the eyes I'd known and trusted, burning into me, as tears streamed down his face. The sound of my clothes torn from my body. The sound of the letter opener on the side table, ripping through his arm, and the blank stare he looked at me with. My feet running up the stairs, hiding in his closet, hearing my heartbeat and his footsteps. I could taste my fear in my throat as I scurried in the corner making myself as small as possible. The shock of the cold steel on my thigh. The weight of the weapon in my hands. The sound of the pump action. The sound of my breath i released before the blast. The silence and smell of gunpowder. The comfort of the calm silence right before reality hit me like a train. Me panicking and calling him since I didn't know where my mother was and hadn't seen her in months, and my father lay headless at my feet, head blown off by the shotgun in my hand. My Uncle i barely knew, told me to leave everything there and clean myself up and pack a bag, he'd be there soon.