3

Dinner that night was awkward but I, of course, ignored it. The food was passed around as we all collected some on our plates.

"How about you say grace Ryan." Oh no this was a test. Was he even religious? What if he- we all held hands as we bowed our head.

"Dear father we want to thank you for the food you have provided us for the nourishment of our bodies and we ask that you bless this food and make sure that we remain healthy for the years that you have planned for us God, in Jesus name we pray Amen." The table followed with an Amen. I hid my shocked face.

"That was very soulful Ryan. What branch do you affiliate with?"

"Baptist." He said with a smile. Huh? When did he go to church?

"So I assume you guys go to church together?"

"Every Sunday like clock work." He said with a charming smile. I didn't know what the hell was going on. Where was Ryan? Was he kidnapped?

"So when did you guys meet?"

"Two years ago." I quickly intervened. I needed to gain control back again.

"How did you guys meet?" My sister asked staring at my face. She could tell if I was lying but thankfully Ryan came in clutch.

"It was actually at her job. Our businesses are in a project together so we met in the board room. I was surprised when I found out she was the CEO, but I quickly saw the talent she displayed and I swore I felt in love right on the spot." Who knew Ryan could be such a great liar?"

"Wow, I knew you guys wouldn't be able to meet anywhere else because all Malorie does is work."

"I was just telling her on the plane that these next few weeks are going to be filled with relaxation." I chuckled and touched his arm. I looked up and my sister was staring me down.

"So how did your and Eric meet Renee?" Eric looked creepy, he looked like that shit you almost step on when you're taking a walk around your neighborhood, I have nothing against black men. I just have something against this one, considering he had already cheated on her twice and tried to flirt with me. I told my sister but that ended in a whole fight, that's for a later date.

"We met at the- uh, mall. I was walking about-and we bumped into each other." I was about the scream and shout 'liar' when Ryan's hand found its way on to my thigh halting my words.

"Cool!" I gritted. I slyly put my hand under and tried to get him to remove his hand but his hand only traveled and his grip tightened. His hand was now sitting inside of my thigh gripping it firmly. I could slowly feel my body heating, so in response I drank some water, a lot of it.

"You seem pretty thirsty Malorie." My sister said.

"Yeah whatever." I said before continuing to eat. Ryan's hand still remained until everyone was getting ready to leave the table.

"I'll clean up." I said.

"I'll help." Eric quickly said. I sent him a glare, Renee seemed to not notice.

"Actually I think I'll help her Eric." Ryan said and I was thankful for his intervention. Eric looked angry but hid it quickly. Rapist head ass

"Great. I'm tired." My mom said. She grabbed her younger husband and went up to their room, Rene and Eric going to theirs. When the coast was clear I turned to a smirking Ryan who saw staring at me.

"What the hell was that Ryan?" I quietly exclaimed.

"I knew you were about to do some reckless shit so I stopped you."

"Yeah whatever. Now get your fucking hand off me." I said trying to pry his hand off.

"Use your nice words."

"Fuck you b-"

"Mal." He warned. Ryan did not like when people defaced him, there were a couple times I got put in my place after calling him multiple profanities.

"Can you please get your hand off me?"
He released it and got up.

"That's all you had to do sweetheart, you know I'll do anything you ask me to."

"That's bullshit." I said gathering the plates and putting them in the sink. I turned around and bumped into Ryan.

"Who picked you up at four in the morning because you were wasted?" He said pushing me back with his physique.

"You."

"Who took you to the pharmacy to get you some pregnancy tests?" I rolled my eyes but admitted that he had taken me.

"Who, helped you when you were going through that rough patch in your life?" My business was failing, I was on the verge of losing everything. So I had sheepishly asked Ryan for a loan, a loan of which I had tried to pay back but he continues to refuse. With that, I fell into a depression and refused to open my curtains or doors before Ryan had found my secret key and forced me to take a shower. Not one of my proudest moments.

"You."

"That's right. I legitimately care about you Malorie. If I didn't I wouldn't have done any of that." He said before continuing to clean up.

"I'm sorry." I whispered.

"You don't need to apologize you just need to change your habits, I understand you have your defense mechanisms and you don't like getting too close but you're safe with me, I promise that." He said. That made me clench my jaw and I got to thinking. I started washing the dishes before heading off to dreamland where most things were perfect.

Ryan

I watched as she washed dishes absentmindedly I hoped I wasn't being to harsh on her. I just wanted her to realize that I care and that she can trust me. She's been in defense mode since we've been on the airplane. I can't say I blame her. I knew a bit of what her parents, more specifically her mom and what she did to her. The scars were still there, fading but still there. Malorie was a beautiful woman no doubt, but there were also disadvantages that she contained, like her severely stubborn and independent nature. I had to force her to allow me to even do what a man should, like pay for restaurant bills, help out with her lawn work etc, and even after two years of trying to altering her, in a good way, to allow me to be in her life she was still stubborn as hell. But I wasn't going to give up. We had a bond now.