Bonding with the Little Deer

Arriving at the compound with very little problem, Shikaku walks in taking his shoes off "Tadaima, Shikamaru! Come say your greetings to our guest."

When no movements can be heard Kodai's sharp ears catch Shikaku grumbling under his breath.

Giggling when he mumbles that his son is way too much like himself as he walks away to find his boy. Shikaku looks over his shoulder

"make yourself at home the sitting room is to the right and the kitchen is to the left, just pick one and I'll find you soon."

Walking off to find Shikamaru, Kodai picks the kitchen, so that she can fix a quick lunch for everyone and as a thank you gift for allowing her to stay here.

Looking in the fridge she sees the fixings for Omurice grabbing the ingredients and follows her mother's recipe instead of onions using mushrooms.

Cooking for three is rather fast then having to cook for six. But before she can get caught up in her memories she finishes, just in time for Shikaku to come trodding in, with who she assumed to be Shikamaru over his shoulder. Setting the table Shikaku sets his son next to him as Kodai sits across form the older Nara.

The younger Nara still asleep wakes up rather slowly to see a rather beautiful masked lady sitting across the table. Seeing the stranger wakes him up quickly, and to Kodai witnessing the change is like watching a little Shikaku all over again.

"Shika-chi, your son is a mirror image of you when we were younger." Kodai chuckles seeing both the Nara's color red, Shikamaru rubbing the back of his head and Shikaku scratching the bridge of his nose.

Observing the two's nervous/embarrassed habits only caused her laugh to rumble out longer.

Shikaku smirks a little smug as he joins in chuckling about the fact that he unintentionally got her to laugh.

Shikamaru grumbles before saying his thanks for his food and starts eating. After Kodai and Shikaku calm down they start eating as well "so dad, want to introduce us. Or am I going to have to keep guessing."

Chuckling Kodai lifts a sharp eyebrow at Shikaku, the man just groans rubbing the bridge of his nose again. "Shikamaru, this is my academy friend Ryujin Kodai. Ko-chan this is my son, Nara Shikamaru."

Shikaku's monotone voice drawls bring another chuckle out of Kodai, as Shikamaru's black eyes widen dramatically "Ryujin! As in the extinct clan of Dragons. Then that means you must be the Dragon yonnin, the Dragon Empress."

Kodai winces slightly hearing someone listing her titles. "Yes, little Drake. However those titles did not come without sacrifice. Enough of me, Shika-chi tells me you've already made friends with an Akimichi. What do you two like to do?"

Accepting that she was trying to get off the subject of her titles, Shikaku and Shikamaru share a brief glance, one that Kodai sees but doesn't draw attention to.

"Yeah, His name is Akimichi Choji. What do we do? Well we don't do a lot. I mean, I like to watch the clouds and Choji tags along sometime. Oh! And sometimes we go to his family's restaurant. But I mean, what a drag... uh. How long have you known my dad?"

Kodai stores the name Akimichi Choji as someone important, as she's about to answer Shikamaru, Shikaku stands "well I hate to leave you here with just Shikamaru but I need to get back to work. How troublesome."

He heaves a sigh placing his newly cleaned plate in the cabinet, and turning to Shikamaru. "Don't be troublesome for Ko-chan. And don't answer the door unless Ko-chan knows who it is."

Finishing his orders for the younger Nara, Shikaku glances back at the Ryujin "I really hate leaving you like this but duty calls, and thanks for lunch it was really good."

The woman waves him off "I understand, I am a kunoichi. Just be careful." He nods walking out of the room, shifting to face Shikamaru again.

"How about we clean up and go to the sitting room. We can talk more in there." Shikamaru shrugs standing up with his plate in hand "I don't mind."

Now leaning back on a comfy dark green couch Kodai releases a content sigh, with Shikamaru on the other end slightly tense. "You want to know how long I've known your dad." With that, the Nara seems to perk up a little and nods.

"Let's see I was a first year and he was in the fourth year. But I use to always see him outside napping under a tree, earlier when I said you look like him I meant it. Though you have you mother's eyes and brows."

Kodai pauses observing the boy in front of her, when she mentioned his mother, his eyes widen.

"I often wondered if Shika-chi ever got any sleep at home, but it was in the middle of the year when I realized that he wasn't actually napping but rather watching. Listening. To what was going on around him."

She watches as his brows furrow and nod at her observation of her academy days and young Shikaku. "W-What was my mom like?" Shikamaru's lower lip trembles moving to sit upright on the couch Kodai shifts closer to the boy.

"Your mother was a gentle however strict lady, loved to boss around Shikaku and myself. I remember Yoshi-chi getting on to me so many times for training to hard or for not sticking up for myself when it came to my clan Elders. Kaede Yoshino was your mother's name and a very good friend of mine." Sobs come from the 5, almost 6, year old as Kodai pulls the boy into her arms.

"She loved you very much, she planned to name you Haruto. But your father had other plans."

Strangled giggles pour out of the crying boy. They remained there for a while him resting his head against her chest and Kodai humming a soft lullaby.

Soon the emotionally worn out Nara was fast asleep, however she never let go of him purring in content. There's a fable that Dragons hoard things that interest them, for Kodai she treasures children, so right now she is very happy and content.

About two hours later, Shikaku returns noting the silence in the house he brandishes a kunai, and sneaks. Checking the kitchen first watching carefully, than moving on to the sitting room. Sliding the door open quietly, a soft smile spreads his face, putting his kunai away he leaves to find a blanket.

Bringing back the blanket he sprawls it over the sleeping duo careful not to wake either one. Kodai sleeps on her back with her arms wrapped protectively around the younger Nara. Who is sleeping on his stomach over the Ryujin.

Another longer chapter, so I hope you like it.

Question 4: What do you think of the fluff?

Until Next Time

Ja Matane~