★ chapter 9 ★

"Goodmorning, Miss Pritchard."
Lorena greeted in her well-known raspy voice.

A smile was plastered on her face as she look at the middle age lady who works in the main office of Hubbard High School. Her hair was did in a french updo, she had a medium-tan complexion, and black eyes.

"Morning sweetheart, you're late again."
Miss Pritchard reminds.

Lorena frowned. She didn't have to be told twice that she is late. She blamed herself for not going to sleep early due to her being at the recording studio with a friend. She is a singer.

"I know, I promise it will be my last time."
Lorena assures, walking away from the desk once she got her tardy slip and out of the office.

"You said that the last time, Ms. Duncan!"
She shouted, smiling afterwards.

Lorena giggled and the school bell ring, meaning it was the next period. She skips to her locker to put away her things and had to art class.

"Girl, I thought you wasn't going to make it today."
Her friend Yasmeen whispered.

Lorena took a seat next to her and reached in her pocket to pull out her demo tape.

Yasmeen furrowed her brows in confusion as she stared at the tape in her palm.

"What's this?"
She asked, looking at the front where the words written in a blue ink:
I wanna be down.

Lorena's eyes shifted from her teacher to her best friend.
"It's my first song I recorded."

Yasmeen smiled and look at her.
"You stepping out of gospel?"
She asked, giggling afterwards.

Lorena perched her lips to the side.
It was true, she couldn't deny it. She felt like doing something she want to do without her parents permission.

"Yeah, it took us days to get this song how I wanted. They even bought the lie I told them."
Lorena snickered.

Yasmeen's mouth formed into an o as she stifled her laugh.
"Wow, I can't wait to hear this."

"You're going to like it."
Lorena nudged her arm.

"Ms. Duncan, pay attention to the work and not to Ms. Stewart, you don't want me to contact your parents about your behavior, hm?"
Ms. Price questioned, bowing her head.

Lorena look around the classroom who eyes were on her. She gave a weak smile and waved her hand.
"I'm sorry, Ms. Price, continue with your listen."
She answered.

Ms. Price scoffed and proceeds with her lesson.
Lorena and Yasmeen exchanges glances as they covered their mouths to laugh.

"Mommy, daddy, I'm home!"
Lorena announces, dropping her book bag at the front door.

Silence filled the home once she entered. She thought that her parents are out taking care of business. She walks into the kitchen and open the fridge to look for a snack. She grabbed a pack of Mandarin oranges and open as she swallowed the juice.