Chapter 1 - First Meeting

Erin's POV

“Desk duty. My first job out of the academy is desk duty, first day!” I said to my deskmate, Kent.

“Well, it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it!”

“Sure,” I replied rolling my eyes and sitting down. Someone soon walked in so I plastered a smile on my face and started the day.

“Miss Blair?” Sgt. MacDonald said walking in a few hours later. 

“Yes, sir?”

“Have you had the chance to meet Officers Malloy and Reed yet?” I perked up at that question. They were the best officers in this division!

“No, sir, I have not yet had the pleasure.”

“Well, they just came into the station to book a 211. I'd like you to meet them.”

“Yes, sir! That would be great!”

“Wonderful! Why don't you come with me, I think Officer McWhirter can handle the desk for a while What do you think?” I looked back at Kent who purposely was making a dumb face and laughed.

“If he can't I guess we'll find out!” With that the Sergeant took me back to the report desk where Malloy and Reed were just finishing up a report, waiting for Mac to come back with me.

“I'm telling you, Reed, ask me one more time if I'm OK and I'll personally-”

“Fellas, this if Officer Blair,” MacDonald interrupted.

“Oh! Hi, Officer Blair! Nice to meet you!” Reed said smiling and shaking my hand immediately.

“Hi there. Uh, I'd really like to talk more but my uniform got awful dirty on that last call so I'm going to go change,” Malloy said, leaving in a hurry. I tried to say ‘nice meeting you’ but he'd already left. 

“Sorry about that. My partner's having a rough day and, uh, getting thrown around a bit at the last call really put him in a sour mood.”

“Oh, that's alright. I understand,” I told Reed. “It was really nice meeting you, Officer Reed.”

“Nice to meet you too. I hope we get to work together in the future. And call me Jim.” I smiled and we talked a bit more. After a while, I realized I'd better head back to my normal duty.

“Well, I'd better get back to the desk.” The Sergeant nodded. “I, uh, need to make a pit stop real quick, but, um, yeah.”

“Don't worry, Blair. McWhirter can take care of himself,” MacDonald replied smiling. I smiled back and left the office. On my way to the restroom, I passed the locker room. I thought about going in and seeing if Malloy was still there so I could, hopefully, get on better terms with him. I’d just decided against it when I heard a loud thump and a groan. I immediately ran in and gasped at what I saw.