Chapter 3 - Upsets and Understandings

A/N: Quick note, if a chapter does NOT start with a new POV, then it is simply continuing in the POV from the end of the previous chapter... should be easy enough to understand... thought I'd mention it though 😊😊

“1-Adam-12, PM watch, clear,” I said into the mic. 

“1-Adam-12, Roger,” Dispatch replied.

“Hey! You got it on your first try! Nice job!” Reed told me as we pulled out. Today would be my first day on the beat.

“Thanks! I hope this shift goes well. I mean, I like a little excitement but only a little,” I said chuckling.

“Same here,” He replied. It had been a couple of days since Pete had gone into the hospital. He was getting released tomorrow but would still be off work for another month to finish recovering. In the meantime, Jim needed a partner. He'd asked Mac specifically for me. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for that to happen. Mac, thankfully, agreed to let me go with Jim. So here we were, about to start our first shift together. I just hope nothing bad happens today.

“1-Adam-12, 1-Adam-12, 507 loud party, 645 Gage St. Apt. 365.”

“1-Adam-12, Roger,” I told dispatch. Turning to Jim I said, “Well, we're off with a bang.” 

We finally arrived at the apartment building where this party was taking place. It was on the 3rd floor but apparently, it had spilled out onto the balcony and could be heard from the parking lot. 

“Let's go, partner,” Reed said jumping out. I couldn't help but smile a little at his use of that nickname. Although I suppose he could have been thinking of Pete. I put those thoughts aside and focused on the job at hand. I knocked on the door and almost immediately it opened.

“Who are yo-,” The lady interrupted herself and stared at me. “Erin?! Erin Blair?!”

“Cindy Hoffner!” I said excitedly. “Cindy, this is Jim, my partner. Jim, we used to go to school together!” 

“That's real neat,” Jim replied. He sounded a bit off though, I wonder what's bothering him. 

“Come on in!” Cindy said pulling me in. Jim hurried behind. “Everyone! This is my good friend, Erin and her partner, Jim!” Turning to me she said, “I guess you're here to make sure no one makes any trouble for us, huh?” 

“Actually, Cindy, we were called here because you're neighbors were bothered by the loud music. If you could just turn it down a bit that would be fantastic.”

“You're kidding? This is your favorite album, Erin! How could you ask me to turn it off?”

“You're bothering your neighbors, it's our job to ask you to turn it down. That doesn't mean turn it off but just lower it so it won't bother your neighbors.”

“And what if I don't, Officer,” Cindy spat back. 

“Well, we'll have to arrest you for disturbing the peace,” I replied surprised but trying to keep my professional demeanor. 

“Fine,” Cindy replied angrily. She stomped over to the record player and turned it off completely. “Everyone, I've been informed that we need to keep it down or else those pigs are gonna take us in.” I couldn't believe how quickly Cindy's attitude had changed! She walked up to me, almost nose to nose. “I have no use for you. Get your fuzzy selves out of my apartment.” I turned quickly around and left. Jim followed right behind.

“You OK?” He asked me once we got back in the car.

“Sure,” I said, preferring to stare out the window instead of looking at him. “I'm a cop, aren't I?” I didn’t want him to see how her reaction had affected me. I wasn’t weak.

“A wise person once told me, 'just because you're a cop doesn't mean you don't have feelings.’” I smiled slightly, recognizing his words. “Lemme tell you a little story,” He continued. “Pete and I got called out for a 507 while I was still a probationary officer. When we got to the apartments, the manager told us which apartment it was and who the tenant was. It ended up being an old buddy of mine who had been on the track team with me. Well, he was real happy to see me at first. He thought he'd get special treatment or favors since we knew each other. When it finally got through to him that I was serious about the radio and that I had no plans of giving him special favors, he announced that they had to keep it down or the fuzz would get on them. I wanted to pretend like it didn't hurt but it did. I eventually talked to Pete about it and he basically told me that everyone on the force has had some experience like that. It comes with the job. But that doesn't make it any less painful.”

“Wow, I can't believe that happen to you too. Thanks, Jim, that means a lot. I guess I just feel like I have to be tougher than the other officers because I'm a girl.”

“Trust me, you already have most of the guys' respect. The training is more rigorous than the average workday so we know that if you made it through that then you can make it here. The few that don't see you as an equal will have to suck it up for now and I can guarantee you they'll learn quickly.”

“Gee, thanks, I really don't know what to say,” I said, smiling. 

“You don't have to say anything. Now, whaddya say to some nice refreshing ice cream?” 

“That would be wonderful!”

“1-Adam-12, requesting code 7 to 438 Stanley Ave,” Reed said.

“1-Adam-12, OK-7,” Dispatch replied.

“Thanks again for the ice cream, Jim,” I said a while later, sitting across from him in a small booth at a local diner.

“No problem! Glad to be of service,” He replied with a wink. I laughed and smiled down at my ice cream. 

“This is really nice,” I said. “I mean, I know we're on duty and all but,” I paused. “It feels nice.”

“I know what you're getting at, Erin,” Jim said smiling a little. “I just,” He sighed. “I don't know if I'm ready yet. I know Jimmy needs a mom, but I don't want to find a wife just for that. I want to be ready to share my life with someone again. Jean was one in a million. She was absolutely amazing. It's hard losing someone that close to you and I just feel like I'm not ready for that kind of relationship again yet.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “I'm sorry if I'm getting too personal, Erin. I just need to be honest with you. I like you, I really do. But I'm not ready yet. And I don't want you to feel like I'm using you.”

“Jim,” I said smiling sadly. “I understand. We'll be friends for now. But that doesn't mean I can't help out with Jimmy. I'd love to meet him. And if he takes to me, I can watch him for you if we ever end up on opposite shifts.” 

“Thanks,” He said as he put his hat back on. He got up and headed to pay.

“Jim,” I said stopping him. “You need to do what's best for your son and you. If you need time, take time. I can wait. And if not me, you'll find someone else.” He smiled gratefully and, after making sure no one was looking, gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. 

“You're the best,” He said. With that, he ran off to pay for the food and we continued on patrol.