Chapter 4 - Back on the Beat

Pete's POV

“Welcome back, Pete,” Mac said to me as I entered his office. “Good to see you back on duty!”

“Thanks, Mac. It's good to be back,” I replied. “I appreciate all the meals your wife made for me. She's a good cook.” In the month that I had been gone, Mrs. MacDonald had cooked for me 20 meals and personally brought them over. Sometimes Mac came to visit as well. It was always nice to see them but the best visits were from Jim and Erin. I knew about their agreement and I respect Jim's wishes. But I can't stop myself from hoping they get together soon.

“It's no problem at all, Pete. We're happy to help.” Mac looked me over suspiciously. “Did you have something you wanted to ask me?” 

“Yeah, actually I did,” I replied scratching the back of my head

“Yeah, actually I did,” I replied scratching the back of my head. “I wanted to ask about Erin. How's she doing? Are she and Jim working well together?” Mac grinned. He leaned over and pulled out a thick file.

“Here’s their reports from the past month. A few of those are drug busts, a couple were purse snatchings or burglaries we hadn't been able to solve. One was even an arsonist!” Mac chuckled. “Don't get me wrong, Pete, you and Jim are the best team I've ever had the pleasure to know. But those two come pretty darn close.”

“That's good to hear, Mac.”

“Why were you asking?”

“Oh, no reason,” I replied with a slight smile. Mac shook his head and I got up to head to roll call. Just as I reached the door, Mac called my name. “Yeah, Mac?”

“You're not the only one who wants to get those two together

“You're not the only one who wants to get those two together.” I smiled and headed to roll call. Once there, I noticed Erin sitting in my usual spot on the right of Jim. I shook my head and grabbed a chair on the other side of Erin since Brinkman was sitting left of Jim.

“Well, well,” Erin said just loud enough for Jim and me to hear. “To what do I owe the honor of sitting between the two best looking fellas in the department?” Jim and I both blushed deeply.

“Since when was I good lookin’ sweetheart?” I asked her. I figured a little flirting couldn't hurt. After all, she started it. And, after noticing Jim clench his jaw at my reply, I figured it might wake Jim up a bit.

“Since I told Wells that Jim and I aren't dating and now he's trying to ask me out.” I almost started laughing but covered it up with a cough.

“You alright there, Pete?” Mac asked. Of course he'd walk in right at that moment.

“Fine, Mac. Just fine,” I replied. Once he had his back turned I leaned over to Erin and said, “Don't worry, I'll take care of the 'Late Baby'.” She laughed and turned to pay attention to roll call. Jim and I got paired up again and Erin was put with Officer Milner. He and I had gone to the academy together but he'd just recently been transferred to this division. 

Things went smoothly for about 2 weeks. Ed had stopped bothering Erin and Jim was talking to me more and more about asking Erin out. Finally, the perfect opportunity arose. I decided to talk to them both before watch one day. I had a proposition.

“What do you mean you're taking Jim and me on a date?” Erin exclaimed. 

“Look, I need you two to come with me. I asked this girl out, Judy her name is. Anyway, it turns out her sister Kathleen is dating Wells. Judy called me yesterday, after we'd already made our date plans, and wanted to ask Ed and her sister to double with us. I had to come up with a quick excuse so I said you two were already joining us. Don't worry, I'll pay.”

“That's not what I'm worried about, Pete,” Jim said pulling me aside. “I just,” he sighed. “I just wanted our first date to be special. I'd just figured everything out.”

“Ok, well, the double date isn't until Friday. And today's Monday. Why don't you take her out tomorrow? Or tonight for that matter?”

“Hey!” He said, lighting up. “That's a great idea! I'll ask her after watch today!” I smiled and Jim told Erin he had something to ask her after watch today. She tilted her head and asked him what about. He told her she'd have to wait and see and then he winked at her. I honestly have no clue how she'll be able to focus on her shift today.

 I honestly have no clue how she'll be able to focus on her shift today

“So, what're your big plans?” I asked Jim once we were on patrol. 

“I'm not gonna say,” He replied.

“Oh come on, Jim!”

“Nope.”

“Fine,” I said rolling my eyes. Jim just grinned. This was going to be a long shift.