Chapter 6 - 1-Adam-51, Okay 7

The next day we were in the locker room getting ready for roll call and Pete walks up to us. “Last night was really beautiful, wasn't it?” He asked. I looked at Jim confused but he only shrugged in return.

“Yeah, Pete,” I said. “It was.”

“Sometimes, when it's so nice out. I like to take a late night walk in the park by my house.”

“Oh,” I said blushing brightly.

“You, uh, walked by the bridge?” Jim asked sheepishly.

“Yep,” Pete said grinning. “And I couldn't be happier for you.”

“Thanks, Pete,” I replied, slightly relieved that he wasn't mad or something. 

“So, I'm assuming your date went well last night?” We both nodded. “Then you can come on Friday?”

“Oh!” I gasped. “I'd forgotten about that! I'm open. What about you Jim?”

“Fine by me!”

“Alright! Meet us at Shelly's on Shore Drive at 6. We'll eat there then spend the sunset on the beach.” Pete said. We agreed to it and headed to roll call. Per usual, Pete and Jim were assigned together. Marty and I were also put together as we'd been assigned as partners. The special thing about today was that Kent finally escaped the desk. He got paired with Officer Sanchez. A while later, Marty and I were on our beat, cruising a fairly quiet residential neighborhood.

“Police!” A woman yelled, running out to the curb. “Stop!” We pulled over quickly.

“What seems to be the problem, ma'am?” I asked

“He climbed up the tree and now he can't get down! Oh, my poor baby boy! He's sick too! He just doesn't want to go to the doctor. Oh, my baby! Please get him down!”

“Alright, ma'am,” I said. “Please try to stay calm.” I turned to Marty who was radioing the call in.

“1-Adam-51, show us code 6 at 1426 N. Kildare. Possible child stuck in a tree.”

“1-Adam-51, Roger,” Dispatch replied. We both got out and followed the woman to her backyard.

“There he is! Right up there!” She exclaimed, pointing to a branch about halfway up a decently sized tree. “His name's Edison and you must be very careful, he scratches sometimes.”

”

“Ma'am, you called us about your cat?” Marty asked scratching his head in confusion. Edison was a fluffy, black cat.

“Yes! Of course! I need to get my baby to the vet!”

“It's alright, Marty,” I said. I quickly climbed up the first few branches until I could finally reach Edison. “Alright, kitty, come on now,” I cooed, reaching out. All of a sudden the cat screeched, jumped over me, using my shoulder as leverage, and leaped into its owner's arms.