Chapter 2 - Nightmares of the Past

A/N: Just a quick note, in the pics further down in the chapter, you'll see Jean Reed. Since, as the previous chapter explained, Jean Reed is dead, the pics are simply for imagination's sake so you can, maybe, put yourself there.

Jim's POV

I took Erin out to my car and gently set her inside. I realized suddenly that I didn't know where she lived. And I didn't want to wake her. I decided to go ahead and take her to my house. Mrs. Childs still had little Jimmy. She said she'd keep him overnight after all that happened today. I'd just put Erin in the bedroom. I'd sleep out on the couch. At least tomorrow would be a day off. 

When I finally got home, I carried her in and brought her to the bedroom. Laying her down I slipped off her shoes and police belt and tucked her in. I left a note and some of Jean’s old clothes out for her to use in the morning. Grabbing my own pillow, blanket, and pajamas, I went to leave. Looking back as I closed the door, it almost looked like Jean was there again, sleeping peacefully. I shook my head and went out to the kitchen. After drinking a glass of milk, I changed and went to sleep. 

Erin's POV

I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night. I didn't know where I was at or how I got there but I immediately noticed my gun belt next to the bed. I carefully grabbed my gun and found it still loaded. ‘Well,’ I figured, 'I guess I'm in the company of friends. Why else would they leave me with my gun?’ But I still didn't know why I woke up. 

“Let me go!” I heard someone yell. I gripped my gun and quietly went for the door. Slowly peeking out, I surveyed the scene. I saw someone lying on the sofa, tangled in sheets. I didn't see anyone else. “Jean!” the person on the sofa yelled.

“Jim!” I breathed, running over, putting the gun down on a table. He was still thrashing about and yelling. I grabbed his shoulders and shook him slightly. “Jim! Wake up!” He grabbed at my wrist, waking up suddenly. He pulled me close and buried his head in my shoulder. 

“Jean, I'm sorry, are you alright?”

“Jim,” I said, heartbroken. “I'm not Jean.” He pulled away quickly, hands still holding my arms, and stared at me.

“I'm sorry. I'm so sorry,” He sobbed curling back into himself on the couch. I sat on the sofa next to him, knowing I shouldn't leave him alone like this. After a bit we started talking, neither of us really tired.

 After a bit we started talking, neither of us really tired

“G’mornin’,” I grumbled sometime later. The sun was shining at the wrong angle into my eyes but I was unusually comfortable. I cuddled closer to the warm pillow in my bed.

“Mornin’,” it replied.

“Wait,” I said aloud, suddenly aware of my surroundings. I pushed myself back, effectively pushing myself off the sofa. “Jim!” I squeaked. He rubbed his eyes and sat up.