Digging Deeper

Sure. I was digging. You could say that. But what I was digging for was more valuable than gold or diamonds-it was feeling. All I wanted was just a little feeling, life even. She was never going to give it to me, for I was too demanding. Now it's too late... If only I knew what I know now.

It all started on a hopeful afternoon. The sun was behind the clouds, playing

peek-a-boo games with the earth, teasing it as if it was showing emotion back. I get dressed-it was a lazy morning. One of those days where you never want to get up and get ready but you knew you knew So after the getting ready process, I stepped outside, took a deep breath, and started jogging.

I had absolutely no idea where I was headed, but I knew there was a purpose for everything. I was basically closing my eyes, breathing. To my surprise, BAM! I run into a little girl, seeming to be very shy. We both fell to the ground after the collision and I didn't know what to say after something like that happened.

"I'm so sorry!!!" I exclaimed after seeing the shocked look in her face.

"It's....k," she said. Or that's all I got from her.

Trust me-I tried to make her laugh or even smile. I made faces, I danced, and I even shared my deepest pet peeves and hobbies. Nothing. I got nothing. So we got up and wiped our pants clean with our hands. I held out my hand for her to shake it. I guess she got too shy to shake my hand so I told her to keep in touch with me and then I gave her my cell phone number to give to her mom so her mom can contact me sometime.

"Ok. Run along," I say, in the nicest way possible.

"Mmk.... Tomorrow," she says back, me with a puzzled look on my face.

It was the morning of May 9, my best friend, Kimmie's birthday. I had completely forgotten. I got her a gift though-luckily. But on my way to her party at the bar on Maybar Ave., I see the little girl that I ran into earlier that day. So I stop the car.

"Hey, how you doing?" I ask to be polite even though I know that I'm already late for her party.

"I'm.....ine," she mumbled as I tried my hardest to hear her.

"Well good. I'm glad you're doing ok," I say in the most polite way physically possible.

It was awkward-the next part. It was sad too though.

"So...where do you live?" I asked, trying not to sound like some weird, creepy kidnappers.

"Forever, New York is my home," she said which I didn't understand at all considering we're both living in a countryside.

I asked her,"So where's your house?"

"Gertr...ane," she told me but I'm pretty sure she meant Gertrude Lane which is west of where I live...kind of. I live central country.