Chapter Two

5 hours and dozens of dishes later I was finally finished my shift.  I went to the back  and got my stuff out of the storage room and clocked out. I say bye to Robert and Bill the cook and tried to head out.

I was halfway out the door when I felt a strong hand grab ahold of my shoulder and pull me back.  Falling backwards I fell into the body of someone.

"You're not getting out of dinner that quick Gracie."

I sigh and look up to see Ben's green eyes staring down at me.  "Fineeeee" I said in a dramatic tone
"Let's go dork" I pushed my self off of him and went to sit in one of the booths to wait for Ben to get his stuff.

Ok I'm ready. He said while walking towards me with his keys ready.

I got up and looked up to his 6ft stature and nodded.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the parking lot to a white Jeep. He opened the door for me and asked if I needed help getting in.  I sighed looking at the passenger and nodded. I knew it was just way to high to climb. I felt him grab my hips taking me off guard a little and lifted me into the seat.  I put my seat belt on and watched as her shut the passenger door and walked around to the drivers side and got in putting his seat belt on he turned on the Jeep and we set off towards his house.

The drive was silent .. not a comfortable silence either it was a super awkward silence and I kinda was glad not to have to talk because I honestly would have no idea what to talk about  .. the silence didn't  last long.

"So you still living in that motel ?"

I nodded. In response and quietly said yes.

"How do you like it?"

I shrug to myself. "It's ok I guess. It's in my budget so that makes it good enough I said in reply."

"Mmhm makes sense I guess."

I Shrug again and look out the window. Ben knows about my childhood and even with all the jokes we throw at each other he has really become a good friend to trust. We continue on and I start to feel my eyes getting heavier. I could feel them opening and closing heavily until sleep consumed me.

Ben's POV

I'm so happy I finally got grace to agree to come over for dinner.  I called my mom on my break and I could literally hear and feel the excitement radiating off of her over the phone. Both my parents have been patiently waiting to meet her and literally question how she's doing every time I get home from a shift at Lou's.

  I'm excited to introduce her to them and I really hope she accepts the offer they want to give her tonight. I told them her situation and how she grew up  and they were just horrified. That's basically when the questions started and to be honest I don't mind at all. Though she's tough and a bit of a loud mouth but she's definitely stole my heart.

So I hope you like cheesecake cause mom made one for desse.. I look to my right quick to see her answer but instead I was met with the adorable sight of grace asleep.

I smile to myself and turn my eyes back to the road and quietly continue on for  20 minute drive to my house.

—————————20 minutes later—————————

I finally getting to my street I pull up to my parents house. I can feel my hands sweat a little on my steering wheel as I pull into the drive way and put the Jeep in park. I turn to look and see Grace still asleep and decide maybe I should wait. I pull my phone out and decided to text my mom.

                         Phone conversation

B: Mom I'm home.

M: Ok I'll be right down just getting the last  bit of prep done. Your father should be home in 15. 😘

I looked out the window and I could see the blinds moving in the spare room that was looking over the driveway.  I looked back to my phone and see the three little dots for the upcoming message.

M:Why are you still in the car ?  Does she not want to come in ? Should I come down ? Maybe show her that we aren't scary parents? 🤭

B: Mom chill🤦🏻‍♂️🙄😫! She fell asleep I don't know if I should wake her or what 🤷🏻‍♂️

M: wake her up nicely and I mean nicely young man ! No scaring her awake. If she sleeps to much she might not sleep tonight.

B: ya ya will do 🙄😒😬

M: Tanner Benjamin Carpenter you know better young man 😠

I knew not to push mom to much .. I knew she was meant business especially when she used my full name.

B: 🏳️
————————-end of text————————————
I looked towards grace deciding I might as well wake her.

"Grace... Hey Grace wake up ! We are at my house. "

I shook her shoulder a little until she woke up fully.

Graces POV

I could feel this annoying shake to my shoulder and then an annoying voice .. oh wait it's Ben. I thought to myself. Dammit I must have fallen asleep.

I slowly open my eyes to see Ben looking at me

"Did you know you snore when you sleep. It's kind of annoying". He said with a grin

Did you know that your voice makes me want to go deaf. I said quick before yawning.

He pretends to look hurt. Hey ! My voice is great ...it's a great voice and the ladies love it.

Squinting and looking towards him I shake my head and say. What ladies ?? The ones at the diner ? Dude you need to set your goals a little lower then 87 year old Florence. You know she's out of your league.

He puffs and glared at me.

"Yeah I guess your right ... but she did say she had a granddaughter sooo you never know."he said with an eye brow lift

I roll my eyes and laugh.

Let's go in, moms waiting for us. He said while take his seat belt off and gets out.

I take my seat belt off and open the heavy door. I see Ben coming around and he gives me a hand jumping down.  

Thanks .. he nods in response and leads the way to the back of the house.

I look at the out side of the house in awe it was a beautiful craftsman style house  there was tons of beautiful flower around it too. It was something I've only ever seen in movies definitely different from most of the foster homes I've lived in. 

I hear the door open and look up to see a blonde woman staring down at me with the biggest smile on her face .