Chapter Eleven

*Ding* ding * "hey girl  move it these plates aren't gonna move themselves."I  can hear one of the cooks grumble behind the half wall. I rush around towards the the counter picking up all the food my body could carry.. i finally got well I guess you could say promoted to waitress which is fantastic for the 26 cents more I get on my paycheques.. i just wish these plates were a bit lighter.

I continue my day like the rest of this week has been   I work.. I get yelled at.. I go to my room and snuggle with my bear and pass out then I do it all over again.   Looking at my old worn watch I see it's almost finally time to get on my break I finish up quickly and  go sit in the corner of the kitchen and pull out a book Ben lent me last week. I continue on chapter 34 engrossed in the story every so often looking at the time.  
I could feel my stomach growl at the smell of food that was being cooked across the room. I look at my watch and see my 15 minute break is almost up. I stand up and put the book into my worn backpack and walk slowly back to the main part of the diner and try and make myself busy. Wiping the counters with a wet rag I could hear the door chime open I don't look up right away trying to finish my task before I have to go greet the newcomers. Within 10 seconds of them coming in I look up to acknowledge the new patrons only to see the big bright smile of a very familiar face.

"Mrs.. Elizabeth .. uh.. hello !" I was still nervous seeing her. It had been 3 weeks since I stayed over but Elizabeth had been stopping by quite a bit even when Ben wasn't working. I don't know why because she would never eat anything she would simply come in and sit in one of the booths and order a coffee and just read a book ever time she came she would ask me to sit down and eat something with her but I always declined.

"Oh Gracie I wish you would stop with that Mrs nonsense" Elizabeth giggled while grabbing the menu from my grip. She proceeded to sit in the spot that had become unofficially hers and opened the aged plastic menu that hadn't been updated in years. I followed her and pulled my note pad out of my apron. "What can I get for you Elizabeth?"Trying to sound as professional as I could with her.

"Hmm I want you .." Elizabeth said looking up from her menu.

I gulped a little .. mmm I'm sorry what ? I looked at her confused if I was hearing things ..

"I said I want you Gracie. I want you to come home with me. I want to take care of you and keep you warm and comfortable. And be the mom you always wanted ..Just please say yes honey."

I look at the note pad in my hands I get a tingling sensation cross my fingers as I feel myself letting go. Yes I scream out as I feel her pull me into her lap tightly kissing me all over as she does it.

"Oh Gracie you have no idea how long I have been waiting for this moment." I could feel her standing up with me in her arms.
We walk towards the door to leave when suddenly I hear something in my ear .. I shake my head in annoyance my eyes start to feel dry I blink a few times and suddenly see a hand in my face waving at me .. I look around and realize I haven't even left the counter yet. I turn to see a very angry Robert to my left I quickly look to my right to see Elizabeth's booth empty... omg I day dreamed the whole thing... I look at my hand seeing the wet greying rag. I look up at Robert again in fear... shit .

"Robert I .. " I try to apologize to the red faced balding man but before I could I see him turn away in anger.

"You're fired grace." He walks away towards the kitchen. Oh no please got no.... I rush behind him almost tripping a few times as I do.

"Please Robert please I can't lose this job".. I beg him. I can feel the tears well up in my eyes as I beg.

"I'm sorry grace but you asked for this. How many times have I caught you day dreaming and given you warnings. You goof off with Ben to much you are always day dreaming. You have made to many mistakes you dropped that entire order just last week and now again with the day dreaming."
Mr Fisher was trying to get your attention." He pointed in the direction of the old man wearing old blue jeans and a plaid green shirt who was enjoying his breakfast.

"You're done" he said with a small grin while handing me an envelope. I sigh as I turn away from him, taking the apron off and tossing it to the side I look in the envelope to see 40$ in change. I look up at him knowing there should be a lot more then that. Before I could get a word out. "You owed for all that food you wasted last week. Now get out before I call someone to remove you."
I hold back the tears as I grab my bag and walk out of the diner, I continue to walk until I get to my hotel room. Holding my breath knowing that I'm gonna lose it as soon as I get in. I close the door behind me and let out a wail of sadness.

I can't believe it I fucking managed to lose the only job I could get. What was I going to do?? I climbed onto my bed grabbing my bear and holding him tight as I cried myself to sleep thinking that in 5 days I'll be completely out on the street once the motel owners realize I won't have the money to pay for the room anymore.